wired vs wireless network

Post by Sam Carleto » Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:36:09

I currently have a 100M home network.  Currently all the servers are
going into a 100M Netgear switch (max distance 7 feet).  Then that
has a 25 foot run to a cheap 100 hub.  The hub has multiple runs
from 30 to 80 feet.

The problem is thus:  I need to hook a computer up in my daughters
room.  Currently I tried running a 100 foot cable from one of the 80
foot leads and everything si VERY slow on the hub.  I believe that
if I ran a wire to her room, I would be looking at around 120 foot
run from the cheap hub, is that too long?  Would a better hub or
moving to a switch allow that long of a run on CAT-5?  I want
reliability, not cost savings here.  Cisco is a bit too much,
though:)

Another option would be to go wireless.  I can place a wireless HUB
in the first floor office, which is open to the two story entry way,
which is open to my daughters bedroom.  I think it is about 30 or 40
feet by line of site.  The office is at the end of the 30 foot run
from the hub.  The big question is:  What wireless HUB and
PCI/USB based card is the best to use?  I am more interested in
reliability then low cost.  I HATE it when networks are down!

Which option would you go for?  What hardware would you use to make
things work the best?

Sam

wired vs wireless network

Post by Torsten Kaise » Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:07:22

Hello Sam,

> I want
> reliability, not cost savings here.  Cisco is a bit too much,
> though:)

No need for that. Amplifying/repeating the signal should work as well. Found
an interesting URL to this problem:

http://www.pmg.com/otw_nwsl/98_w_ethernet.htm

What about placing a cheap office hub somewhere half way to repeat the
signal? Maybe even with a WLAN capability? So your office at one end and
the living area would be both at abt. 60ft distance. When you place another
office hub to uplink the office ressources to your new "backbone" you
almost have the same infrastructure as before, but no oversized line with
starving signals.

HTH
Torsten Kaiser

wired vs wireless network

Post by Richard Boekam » Thu, 01 Jan 2004 08:19:13

> Hello Sam,

> > I want
> > reliability, not cost savings here.  Cisco is a bit too much,
> > though:)

> No need for that. Amplifying/repeating the signal should work as well.
Found
> an interesting URL to this problem:

> http://www.pmg.com/otw_nwsl/98_w_ethernet.htm

> What about placing a cheap office hub somewhere half way to repeat the
> signal? Maybe even with a WLAN capability? So your office at one end and
> the living area would be both at abt. 60ft distance. When you place
another
> office hub to uplink the office ressources to your new "backbone" you
> almost have the same infrastructure as before, but no oversized line with
> starving signals.

> HTH
> Torsten Kaiser

Depends a bit in my view. That's why I am using both cables and Wifi at
home, functioning through several walls. If the connection you want to make
to your daughters room is only to be used for the internet Wifi is ok and
easy to install. No cables involved. Be sure to buy all wifi equipment of 1
branch (Syslink is not bad and btw since about a year owned by Cisco)
otherwise you might experience incompatabillity especially in the WEP
encryption. This functions also very lovely if you have a laptop! Or your
daughter is replacing the furniture in her room:) Btw a Wifi hub is called a
WAP and not a hub, since it has more (special to Wifi) functionality then a
switch/hub. You will need one WAP and can effectivly connect up to 50 users.

On the other hand, if you also want to fe transfer large files or make
backups etc cables just are faster since Wifi runs at about 10 MB (or 50 MB)
whereas cables run at 100MB.

Richard.

1. need a suggestion to a home network (wire or wireless) behind a Linux firewall

Hi,

I have DSL+linux firewall at home. I have a hub downstairs which I can
hook my laptop to. It works fine. NOw, I'm thinking of taking my
laptop to other place in the house, including upstairs. I have
researched two solutions.

(1) powerline network. It will serve my purpose, but I just could not
find those powerline ethernet adapters in local Fry's electronics. (I
like to be able to return if it does not work).

(2) wifi. I got a Linksys BEFW11S4 (router/AP) and a pcmcia for my
laptop last weekend at Bestbuy. I like to put Linksys AP behind my
linux firewal (so I will have more control). However, the BEFW11s4
simply would not talk to my linux firewall, even they are on the same
lan. I have googled, found out some message with the exact same
problem, but not answer. I have already spent too much time on this.

Would any one suggest an easy way, or a better product, or just a
simple trick that I can resolve the above wi-fi problem? I really do
not mind wire or wireless, as long as I don't have to wire the long
ethernet cable to upstair rooms.

Thank you.

Jun

2. Problem with SSH on Solaris 9

3. routing wired/wireless networks

4. Best development environment?

5. Wireless ethernet in laptop to hard-wired ethernet network, is it possible?

6. shared memory system limits

7. Need help with mixed wired/wireless network (the Bob Hauck configuration)

8. battle.net (starcraft/diablo) and ip forwading

9. Bridging wireless and wired network

10. Wireless/Wired network speed drops to 1Mb/sec

11. Newbie : Wireless/Wired Network

12. Wireless and old-fashioned wired adapter

13. Wireless to wired bridge: apparently not going to work?