Long boot when eth cable unplugged

Post by Phyzi » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:50:01

I'm running Mandrake 8.2 and am very happy except for one thing.

Boot time normally takes about 2.5 minutes.  However, if the ethernet
cable is unplugged, the boot time at least doubles as the boot sequence
tries to load eth0.  It just sits there, and I don't know how to skip
it, or to make it so it doesn't automatically start, and I can manually
start it later.

Any thoughts?

Post by Bit Twist » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:58:38

> I'm running Mandrake 8.2 and am very happy except for one thing.

> Boot time normally takes about 2.5 minutes.  However, if the ethernet
> cable is unplugged, the boot time at least doubles as the boot sequence
> tries to load eth0.  It just sits there, and I don't know how to skip
> it, or to make it so it doesn't automatically start, and I can manually
> start it later.

> Any thoughts?

Do not unplug the cable.     :)

You can change  ONBOOT=no        in

Now you have to login as root and run
        service network restart
which will bring up the nic when you want it.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

Long boot when eth cable unplugged

Post by Martin P. Kaliti » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:53:48

My bet is that you are using DHCP for your ip address. The reason that it
takes so long is that it keeps looking for a DHCP server to gram an ip
address. Change it to a static address if you can and things should be
better.

Ciao,

M.

Quote:> I'm running Mandrake 8.2 and am very happy except for one thing.

Post by James Knot » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:11:17

> I'm running Mandrake 8.2 and am very happy except for one thing.

> Boot time normally takes about 2.5 minutes.  However, if the ethernet
> cable is unplugged, the boot time at least doubles as the boot sequence
> tries to load eth0.  It just sits there, and I don't know how to skip
> it, or to make it so it doesn't automatically start, and I can manually
> start it later.

> Any thoughts?

It's normally configured to start, according to run level.  Everything in a
given run level starts sequentially, so that a slow one, such as your
ethernet will delay boot up.  Disable it from there and either start it
manually after boot, or put it as the last item in rc.local.  You may also
want to do some run level checking, to make sure it starts at the
appropriate time.  I have heard of some people using different start
levels, according to whether they want networking.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by James Knot » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:12:17

> You can change  ONBOOT=no        in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

> Now you have to login as root and run
>         service network restart
> which will bring up the nic when you want it.

Or add it to the end of rc.local, so that it won't delay anything else.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Long boot when eth cable unplugged

Post by Phyzi » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:37:21

Well, I looked into what you both said.  I changed the line in the config
file, and rebooted with the cable out.  No waiting.  However, when I
plugged it in, it wouldn't start up!

I tinkered and foudn that the eth0 would only come up if I changed the
line in the config file BACK to boot on startup.  Then it had no problem.

Also, there is another option in the file that says
BOOTPROTO=dhcp .  Is there anyway changing this line might do something?

Thanks.

1. network cable unplugged, then replugged, run script

hey guys.

scenario: linux box shares a connection with a windows box.  for reasons
to long to get into, only one box at a time can have the network cable.
  so it gets unplugged and then replugged every hour.

now, windows doesn't care.  it just resenses the connection and continues.

but what should i do with my linux box (slackware)?

i'm thinking about some sort of cron job that runs a script if the
connection no longer exists.

something like:

if NoConnection
      AttemptEstablishConnection
fi

but i don't really have a clue even where to start.

any ideas?

thanks!

2. How to set '403-Forbidden' permissions in a directory

3. Solaris 9 network not connecting until i unplug and replug network cable

4. securing a workstation

5. after unplugging keyboard cable

6. Howto partition 3158 cyl.

7. NIC destroyed when I unplug cable

8. SSI exec problem

9. OpenBSD 2.9: can't see network until I unplug/re-plug the network cable

10. What should the driver report when network cable is unplugged?

11. how to quickly detect ethenet cable has been unplugged?

12. hou unplug of keyboard cable

13. Eth.PCMCIA hangs when I pull out cable.....