SuSE Linux Intel Server with Mac Client - help!

Post by Taro Fukunag » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I want to share files and possibly the printers (BJ-200
> on the server)....so here's the problems...

> I installed Netatalk from the SuSE 6.0 CD just fine....I "think" it's
> configured correctly, but I can't find any HOW-TO's and the readme is
> worthless.  From the MAC, I try to connect to the server via it's IP
> address...and a logon window appears with the servers name (which tells
> me that they are at least talking on some level)...but the logon
> fails...or at least it is never acknowledged from the Server.

Logon fails...hm...I am running MkLinux on a 6100, which acts a sa
firewall/internet server/file server for my PowerCenter 120 (a mac
clone) and I haven't had any problems as far as netatalk goes (except
security, but that's a different story).

Quote:> So, does anyone have any ideas??  Locations for How-TO's??  etc.??

Not sure... you are using the chooser, right? Have you added a user for
your wife? I think that's the problem.  I don't know why you have to
type in the IP address, you should see the icon of the linux machine in
the chooser when you hit the appletalk icon.

Now wait...Using Linux by Bill Ball (published by Que) covers Redhat
Linux, but the MacOS configuration described therein should be the same,
I think.

Good luck!

------------------
Taro Fukunaga

SuSE Linux Intel Server with Mac Client - help!

Post by Sheri D. Fethe » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Greetings, one and all....here's the low down and any help would be
appreciated!

I have a P100 running SuSE Linux 6.0.  It's set up as a File/Print/DHCP
Server/Internet Router/Firewall.  Everything works fine.  I have Samba
2.0 installed and running great.  I haven't had ANY problems with this
machine since I first set it up with SuSE v5.0.  I purchased a Mac G3
for my wife (who is a school teacher is has her own little
preferences)...okay, fine.  The mac hits the Linux Server and gets it's
IP address via the DHCPD just fine.  It connects to the internet through
the Linux Server just fine...so, I know they're talking TCP/IP via
ethernet...but I want to share files and possibly the printers (BJ-200
on the server)....so here's the problems...

I installed Netatalk from the SuSE 6.0 CD just fine....I "think" it's
configured correctly, but I can't find any HOW-TO's and the readme is
worthless.  From the MAC, I try to connect to the server via it's IP
address...and a logon window appears with the servers name (which tells
me that they are at least talking on some level)...but the logon
fails...or at least it is never acknowledged from the Server.

So, does anyone have any ideas??  Locations for How-TO's??  etc.??

Thanks in advance!!

Eric Fether

Post by Tom Neilso » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[...]

: Thanks in advance!!

: Eric Fether

The Linux Netatalk-HOWTO

Version 2.0.0, October 7, 1998
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

--
"Due to financial constraints,
the light at the end of the tunnel

SuSE Linux Intel Server with Mac Client - help!

Post by Sheri D. Fethe » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks buddy....I got it working now.....that How-To was what I needed.

Thanks again!!!

Eric Fether

> : Greetings, one and all....here's the low down and any help would be
> : appreciated!

> : I have a P100 running SuSE Linux 6.0.  It's set up as a File/Print/DHCP
> : Server/Internet Router/Firewall.  Everything works fine.  I have Samba
> : 2.0 installed and running great.  I haven't had ANY problems with this
> : machine since I first set it up with SuSE v5.0.  I purchased a Mac G3
> : for my wife (who is a school teacher is has her own little
> : preferences)...okay, fine.  The mac hits the Linux Server and gets it's
> : IP address via the DHCPD just fine.  It connects to the internet through
> : the Linux Server just fine...so, I know they're talking TCP/IP via
> : ethernet...but I want to share files and possibly the printers (BJ-200
> : on the server)....so here's the problems...

> : I installed Netatalk from the SuSE 6.0 CD just fine....I "think" it's
> : configured correctly, but I can't find any HOW-TO's and the readme is
> : worthless.  From the MAC, I try to connect to the server via it's IP
> : address...and a logon window appears with the servers name (which tells
> : me that they are at least talking on some level)...but the logon
> : fails...or at least it is never acknowledged from the Server.

> : So, does anyone have any ideas??  Locations for How-TO's??  etc.??

> : Thanks in advance!!

> : Eric Fether

> The Linux Netatalk-HOWTO

> Version 2.0.0, October 7, 1998
> http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

> --
> "Due to financial constraints,
> the light at the end of the tunnel
> has been turned off until further notice !!"

1. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

I need a CVS repository for source control.  Builds are for both Linux
and Mac OS X (10.2), so my idea was to setup a repository on a Mac box,
then access it remotely from the Linux environment, but I'm having no luck.

I'm on a small lan - I've given each box a unique IP address.
I can ping the Mac from Linux.
I can open an ssh session from Linux on the Mac.
I can't rcp files (Connection refused).  Any other network operations
result in Connection refused.
I can see the Mac, and the files under my account from my Windows XP box.

I've turned on all the sharing stuff (system settings, sharing) on the Mac.
I don't really have a clue what I doing.  Can anybody point me to a
resource for this kind of information?

Mick.

2. deny hosts in Solaris

3. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client help?

4. How Do I write a program like "script"

5. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

6. help with Xconfigurator

7. WTS: Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 and Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9

8. Help! Debian on a IBM PS2.

9. Unix-Linux-OSF server and Mac client

10. How to configure a Linux server for NT, Mac and SCO Unix clients?

11. Mac DHCP client + Linux bootpgw + NT DHCP server

12. Linux NFS server to Mac OS X Client

13. problem with LINUX (NFS server) and Solaris 2.7 (intel ) NFS client.