RedHat, SPARC, and printing

Post by <jes.. » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Greetings:

I am in the middle of ressurecting two SPARCstation LX machines using RedHat
5.1, kernel 2.0.33.  I have successfully configured one as a web server, and
I am trying to turn the other into a print server.  (The office is full of
Windoze boxes, and the one that currently acts as a print server is always
breaking.)  I am not very familiar with the SPARC hardware architecture so I
have a few questions:

1: Does this particular architecture have an I/O port which will talk to a
printer (HP 4)?  If so, which one is it?

2: Does RedHat have the device file already made or will I have to use
makedev to make the device by hand?

3: How can I test the configurations once the above two are satisfied?

Thanks in advance for any help.  I am also trying to utilize a SCSI tape
drive for backing up data for the web server.  I will let anyone interested
know of my progress (currently slow)
John Stem

RedHat, SPARC, and printing

Post by Eric Jorgense » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Greetings:

> I am in the middle of ressurecting two SPARCstation LX machines using RedHat
> 5.1, kernel 2.0.33.  I have successfully configured one as a web server, and
> I am trying to turn the other into a print server.  (The office is full of
> Windoze boxes, and the one that currently acts as a print server is always
> breaking.)  I am not very familiar with the SPARC hardware architecture so I
> have a few questions:

> 1: Does this particular architecture have an I/O port which will talk to a
> printer (HP 4)?  If so, which one is it?

    Good news and bad news. I believe the LX comes equipped with a
bidirectional parallel port. Unfortunately, the driver which you will no doubt
see mention of in the kernel makefile does not work.

    If your printer has a serial port, it can be attached to one of the serial
ports on the Sparc LX. Mind you, it won't be very fast.

Quote:> 2: Does RedHat have the device file already made or will I have to use
> makedev to make the device by hand?

    Yeah, it's already there.

Quote:> 3: How can I test the configurations once the above two are satisfied?

    This would be identical to other Linux configurations.

    Your best bet for hardware questions is to visit www.sunhelp.com. For
assistance in making the software work right, I'd suggest the sparc mailing
list at redhat.com.

 - Eric

1. RedHat, SPARC, and Printing

[...]

2. SMP

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Filesystem transfer to new disk

5. ? Setup sol7 Sparc remot print to NT Print server

6. Shell Script

7. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

8. NFS performance benchmarks

9. problems printing to intel NetportExpress PRO/100 print server with redhat 5.2 linux

10. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

11. Cannot print from 2.1 x86 on a SPARC under SunOS 4.1.2

12. HELP: How to print from Sun Sparc

13. Netgear printserver,Epson Stylus c80 on SPARC Solaris8 with CUPS printing