Linux DNS via Wingate

Post by Darkma » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Basically I'm trying to get a Linux box to do its DNS lookup via wingate
on a NT box.

In the named.conf file I'm getting stuck on this line,

query-source port 53;

Linux ( Redhat 6.0 ) is coming back with this

Nov 18 19:08:25 linuxbox named[380]: /etc/named.conf:8: syntax error
near query-source

What am I doing wrong ?

( Besides the fact that I'm using NT )

So if you have an anwser or you just wish to make fun of NT, can please
you e-mail me.

--
Dany Hovinga

Linux DNS via Wingate

Post by Andrew Kenn » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

well why don't you download and configure squid on your linux box and turf
wingate totally, a much easier solution in the long run

Then checkout www.isc.org/bind/ for information on how to setup dns under
linux

I will say this about nt, its dns managment utils suck serverly

Regards

Andrew

> Hi,

> Basically I'm trying to get a Linux box to do its DNS lookup via wingate
> on a NT box.

> In the named.conf file I'm getting stuck on this line,

> query-source port 53;

> Linux ( Redhat 6.0 ) is coming back with this

> Nov 18 19:08:25 linuxbox named[380]: /etc/named.conf:8: syntax error
> near query-source

> What am I doing wrong ?

> ( Besides the fact that I'm using NT )

> So if you have an anwser or you just wish to make fun of NT, can please
> you e-mail me.

> --
> Dany Hovinga

Linux DNS via Wingate

Post by John I Wan » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Basically I'm trying to get a Linux box to do its DNS lookup via wingate
> on a NT box.

> In the named.conf file I'm getting stuck on this line,

> query-source port 53;

> Linux ( Redhat 6.0 ) is coming back with this

> Nov 18 19:08:25 linuxbox named[380]: /etc/named.conf:8: syntax error
> near query-source

> What am I doing wrong ?

> ( Besides the fact that I'm using NT )

> So if you have an anwser or you just wish to make fun of NT, can please
> you e-mail me.

> --
> Dany Hovinga

Hello Dany

You shouldn't need named or /etc/named.conf to do a simple resolve. All you
need is to have your /etc/resolv.conf pointing to a name server out on the
Internet somewheres, preferably the one your ISP runs. All the named stuff
is if you want to be a nameserver to other people and if you're hiding
behind wingate, you don't want to be a nameserver to other people.

Wingate is more of a proxy than a NAT or ipmasquerade so it probably
doesn't provide for named servers being on the private side, chances are it
only provides for well known services such as telnet, SMTP, web, SSL web,
and of course the Windows stuff on ports 137 and 138. You may be able to
configure it for named but really what's the point, just point your
resolver to your ISP's name server.

Note: The default Wingate configuration will readdress any packets passing
through it regardless of which interface it comes in through; consequently
various hackers and spammers will abuse your wingate to "launder" their
packets thereby making their attacks and commercial spam to appear as if
they were coming from your wingate machine. You can read the CERT advisory
about IP laundering through wingate at www.cert.org. Linux boxes running IP
masquerade could also be misconfigured but since the user must first have
worked out how to configure it in the first place, Linux ipmasquerade boxes
are less likely to be so misconfigured (still I bet very few people have
structured antispoofing lines into their ipchains).

Using Linux to do the job would not only provide you with more flexibility
but force you to learn about what you are doing. Using Wingate will only
eventually lead to your ISP account being canceled for all the spam and
hacking attacks that "seem" to originate from you unless of course you
spend the time to figure out how to configure Wingate correctly; time that
would've been better spent with Linux's ipchains.

Regards,
John

1. Linux FTP Install via wingate on 98

Is it possible to do, in my instance, a Debian or FreeBSD install of Linux
through a Wingate 3.0 server being run on a Windows 98 machine?

I know it's possible to access the net if linux is already installed, but I
want to install linux.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Bill

2. Sound/Modem Cards for Linux

3. Will Linux FTP install via wingate on 98?

4. abs FREE SPREADSHEET

5. linux install via wingate 3.0

6. Adding cache (popular topic I know)

7. LINUX station to internet,Via wingate...

8. can linux access internet via a Wingate server

9. Linux FTP install via Wingate on 98

10. ftp via Wingate

11. DNS problem or wingate

12. using Wingate as a internet gateway for Linux