GRUB and re-boot

Post by sb5.. » Tue, 20 May 2008 19:16:30

I have re-booted this server several times before.

My coleague tripped the power line to the server 2 weeks before. When
I re-booted the system, the OS reported some file problems at Ext3,
and hung.

However, after trying a few re-boots, it managed to get back on. A few
days later, I saw the same message on the screen, but the server was
still working. Not sure what to do, I ignored it (I thought of doing a
file scan to correct any lost gains, but server warned that files are
still mounted; I decided not to proceed.)

GRUB and re-boot

Post by Allen McIntos » Tue, 20 May 2008 21:12:22

> I have re-booted this server several times before.
> My coleague tripped the power line to the server 2 weeks before. When
> I re-booted the system, the OS reported some file problems at Ext3,
> and hung.
> However, after trying a few re-boots, it managed to get back on. A few
> days later, I saw the same message on the screen, but the server was
> still working. Not sure what to do, I ignored it

Probably a *very* bad idea.
Quote:> (I thought of doing a
> file scan to correct any lost gains, but server warned that files are
> still mounted; I decided not to proceed.)

The warning was correct.  You can't clean up a running filesystem.  You
need to unmount the filesystem first, or at least mount it read-only.
If the filesystem in question is the root filesystem, this is best done
as part of the boot process.  You no longer have this option.

I hope you have a good backup.  You're going to need it.

All I can do is guess at what is wrong.  Based on your description of
the symptoms and how you got there, filesystem corruption has proceeded
to the point where files needed by the boot loader have been trashed.
Another possibility is that the filesystem root is corrupt.  In any
case, it is likely that one or more filesystem(s) is/are a mess.

I'd suggest you start by getting the filesystems to the point where they
is stable again.  To do this, boot the system with either the FC6 rescue
CD or a Linux-on-a-disk system (e.g. Knoppix as another poster
suggested).  Make sure all filesystems are mounted read-only, and make a
backup of everything you can.  It is often possible to salvage something
from a corrupt filesystem, as long as you are careful.  If you try to
run fsck (the filesystem cleanup program) first, you could wind up with
a filesystem that is completely unusable.  Once you have a backup or
two, use fsck to clean the filesystem up.  Make another backup of the
clean filesystem if you can and then figure out how bad the damage is.

Be careful before you do anything that will write to the disk.  You
should try to salvage as much as you can first.

If you don't know how your disk was partitioned, consult /etc/fstab from
a backup.  If you don't have an accessible backup maybe the FC6 rescue
boot can figure things out for you.

1. HowDo I: Boot from Redhat GRUB to Mandrake GRUB

Ok, weird one for you guys. I want to boot from Redhats GRUB to the
version of GRUB on my mandrake 8.2 installation.  As you can see
below, I have my "master GRUB" that is loaded on the MBR of disk.  I
have GrubRedhat modified to load Mandrake 8.2, using the kernel
command.

splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-5 ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-5.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-3.img

title Mandrake Linux 8.2
        kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 devfs=mount
hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

What I want to do is have RedHatGrub boot over to the version of Grub
I have installed on Hd0,4 and load mandrakeGrub.  I had drake install
Grub into the /boot section of mandrakes install, not onto the MBR.
So RedHatGrub is the "master Grub".

I know I need to use a chainload command. But what command to load
GRUB?

Reason for doing this? So when I get a kernel update from mandrake, it
will automatically be added to the MandrakeGrub menu. I won't have to
manually edit my RedhatGrub menu every time an update happens.

Something tells me I might have to use lilo on the mandrake side to do
this. Hope not, I like grub alot more.

And must admit that Mandrake 8.2 is soooooo user friendly!  But, it
did have issues detecting my mouse that is plugged into a linksys KVM.
RedHat 7.3 had no such issue. Mandrake is also having an issue with my
sound card that redhat 7.3 didn't.

Solution, Plug temp mouse directly into PC, install mandrake, reboot
with wheelmouse and modify mouse type.  Working a-ok now. My congrats
to the Mandrake team for making such a user friendly version of linux.
Can't wait to see what version 9.x brings to the table.

thanks!

2. Jobs - qualified and trainee positions

3. newbie: install completed, but re-boot fails to find ata0

4. Bus Error

5. Automatic Re-Boot

6. Looking 4 sync serial & Teles

7. Power fail re-boot hangs on CDROM in /etc/mnttab

8. How to protect the site with cookies

9. How to automatically re-start user's perl script after a re-boot?

10. Linux won't re-boot??

11. Why do I need re-boot

12. Help on the problem: Serial port losing the parameters after re-boot ....

13. LI on Re-Boot