Can't find interface ppp0: no such device

Can't find interface ppp0: no such device

Post by Rick Bilonic » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:35:29

Hi,

I had installed RH 7.1 the other day on my Toshiba laptop (with help
from others over weird pcmcia problem). I was able to use kppp to access
my ISP.

Last night I was unable to use kppp. I got the message:

Can't find interface ppp0: No such device

I tried a bunch of things to no avail. I now have re-installed RH 7.1.
I'm still getting the same message. It connects to the ISP but won't
start ppp. Then kppp hangs.

Other weird things: it never installs linuxconf. I'm using the laptop
class install so maybe that has something to do with it. Before I had
upgraded and included linuxconf but still there was no linuxconf.

Does any one have any idea why I am getting these weird results?

Thanks.

Rick Bilonick

Post by Rick Bilonic » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:53:46

> Hi,

> I had installed RH 7.1 the other day on my Toshiba laptop (with help
> from others over weird pcmcia problem). I was able to use kppp to access
> my ISP.

> Last night I was unable to use kppp. I got the message:

> Can't find interface ppp0: No such device

> I tried a bunch of things to no avail. I now have re-installed RH 7.1.
> I'm still getting the same message. It connects to the ISP but won't
> start ppp. Then kppp hangs.

> Other weird things: it never installs linuxconf. I'm using the laptop
> class install so maybe that has something to do with it. Before I had
> upgraded and included linuxconf but still there was no linuxconf.

> Does any one have any idea why I am getting these weird results?

> Thanks.

> Rick Bilonick

Some additional info. When I check the /var/log/messages file, it says
modprobe can't find the ppp0 module. Also, root tries to start pppd 2.4.0.

kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ 7

I'm using a Toshiba 2535cds Satellite laptop. I've set the pcmcia bios
setting to cardbus/16. I've connected to the ISP for the last two days
until now.

Rick Bilonick

Can't find interface ppp0: no such device

Post by Michael Bea » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:13:09

I can't help you with your ppp0 problem but I noticed that linuxconf
didn't install on my system either. Redhat 7.0 installed linuxconf but
 7.1 doesn't. I ended up using netcfg and kppp setup instead.

Good luck...Mike

Post by Clifford Kit » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:42:45

> I had installed RH 7.1 the other day on my Toshiba laptop (with help
> from others over weird pcmcia problem). I was able to use kppp to
> access my ISP.
> Last night I was unable to use kppp. I got the message:
> Can't find interface ppp0: No such device

I don't know where this message comes from but then I don't use kppp.
I checked the pppd 2.4.1 and 2.4.5 kernel source trees and there's no
message in them that corresponds to "Can't find interface" in the one
above.

As you've likely found out strange things can happen when PCMCIA cards
are changed or removed.  Maybe if you added the pppd "debug" option
then there would be some messages shown in the logs that could shed
more light on what's happening.

Quote:> I tried a bunch of things to no avail. I now have re-installed RH 7.1.
> I'm still getting the same message. It connects to the ISP but won't
> start ppp. Then kppp hangs.

Reinstall is for Windows, not Linux.

Quote:> Other weird things: it never installs linuxconf. I'm using the laptop
> class install so maybe that has something to do with it. Before I had
> upgraded and included linuxconf but still there was no linuxconf.

Sorry, I've never used RH or linuxconf.

Quote:> Does any one have any idea why I am getting these weird results?

I'd guess it is related to PCMCIA, but I've never used a laptop either,
so that may be far of the mark.

--

/* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
   debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

Post by Rick Bilonic » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 06:42:07

> > I had installed RH 7.1 the other day on my Toshiba laptop (with help
> > from others over weird pcmcia problem). I was able to use kppp to
> > access my ISP.

> > Last night I was unable to use kppp. I got the message:

> > Can't find interface ppp0: No such device

> I don't know where this message comes from but then I don't use kppp.
> I checked the pppd 2.4.1 and 2.4.5 kernel source trees and there's no
> message in them that corresponds to "Can't find interface" in the one
> above.

> As you've likely found out strange things can happen when PCMCIA cards
> are changed or removed.  Maybe if you added the pppd "debug" option
> then there would be some messages shown in the logs that could shed
> more light on what's happening.

> > I tried a bunch of things to no avail. I now have re-installed RH 7.1.
> > I'm still getting the same message. It connects to the ISP but won't
> > start ppp. Then kppp hangs.

> Reinstall is for Windows, not Linux.

> > Other weird things: it never installs linuxconf. I'm using the laptop
> > class install so maybe that has something to do with it. Before I had
> > upgraded and included linuxconf but still there was no linuxconf.

> Sorry, I've never used RH or linuxconf.

> > Does any one have any idea why I am getting these weird results?

> I'd guess it is related to PCMCIA, but I've never used a laptop either,
> so that may be far of the mark.

> --

> /* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
>    debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

Hi,

Another message says "modprobe can't find ppp0 module". I've tried
"/sbin/modprobe ppp0" and it says it can't find the module. I don't
understand how it could work fine one day and then not the next.

Rick Bilonick

Post by Rick Bilonic » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:33:21

> > > I had installed RH 7.1 the other day on my Toshiba laptop (with help
> > > from others over weird pcmcia problem). I was able to use kppp to
> > > access my ISP.

> > > Last night I was unable to use kppp. I got the message:

> > > Can't find interface ppp0: No such device

> > I don't know where this message comes from but then I don't use kppp.
> > I checked the pppd 2.4.1 and 2.4.5 kernel source trees and there's no
> > message in them that corresponds to "Can't find interface" in the one
> > above.

> > As you've likely found out strange things can happen when PCMCIA cards
> > are changed or removed.  Maybe if you added the pppd "debug" option
> > then there would be some messages shown in the logs that could shed
> > more light on what's happening.

> > > I tried a bunch of things to no avail. I now have re-installed RH 7.1.
> > > I'm still getting the same message. It connects to the ISP but won't
> > > start ppp. Then kppp hangs.

> > Reinstall is for Windows, not Linux.

> > > Other weird things: it never installs linuxconf. I'm using the laptop
> > > class install so maybe that has something to do with it. Before I had
> > > upgraded and included linuxconf but still there was no linuxconf.

> > Sorry, I've never used RH or linuxconf.

> > > Does any one have any idea why I am getting these weird results?

> > I'd guess it is related to PCMCIA, but I've never used a laptop either,
> > so that may be far of the mark.

> > --

> > /* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
> >    debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

> Hi,

> Another message says "modprobe can't find ppp0 module". I've tried
> "/sbin/modprobe ppp0" and it says it can't find the module. I don't
> understand how it could work fine one day and then not the next.

> Rick Bilonick

It looks like a problem with the PC modem card. I installed RH 7.0 (after
having problems with the video when trying to install 6.1). Then I tried kppp
again with the pc card modem. Same problem. Then I connected an old 33k modem
(or whatever) to the serial port and bingo I could connect. So all the
software was there. Then I removed the pc card modem and re-inserted it. kppp
then worked through the pc card modem.

I'm going to upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 and hope it still works. It should
because it seems to be a problem with the card connection. It just occurred
to me that I had problems under 6.0 with initializing the pc card modem - I
would press the card in some more and that would correct the problem.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Rick Bilonick

Post by Clifford Kit » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:46:38

> Another message says "modprobe can't find ppp0 module". I've tried
> "/sbin/modprobe ppp0" and it says it can't find the module. I don't
> understand how it could work fine one day and then not the next.

There shouldn't be a ppp0 module.  It may be an alias defined in
/etc/modules.conf but that would be incorrect.  The aliases for
autoloading of the PPP kernel support modules for the 2.4.x kernel
series should be

# pppd
alias tty-ldisc-3    ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14   ppp_synctty
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic

and the modules (ppp_async.o and ppp_generic.o for an asynchronous PPP
connection) may be located somewhere in /lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/net.
I can't say for sure since I normally compile PPP support directly into
the kernel and the structure of the /lib/modules for 2.4.x kernels has
changed from the one for the 2.2.x kernels.

I would advise upgrading to pppd 2.4.1 since 2.4.0 had problems reading
special files, e.g., /etc/ppp/options.ttySx files.

Why it worked one day and not the next is something I think only you
can determine.

--

/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.
 *    -- Pepper...and Salt, WSJ */

Post by Rick Bilonic » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:06:28

> > Another message says "modprobe can't find ppp0 module". I've tried
> > "/sbin/modprobe ppp0" and it says it can't find the module. I don't
> > understand how it could work fine one day and then not the next.

> There shouldn't be a ppp0 module.  It may be an alias defined in
> /etc/modules.conf but that would be incorrect.  The aliases for
> autoloading of the PPP kernel support modules for the 2.4.x kernel
> series should be

> # pppd
> alias tty-ldisc-3    ppp_async
> alias tty-ldisc-14   ppp_synctty
> alias char-major-108 ppp_generic

> and the modules (ppp_async.o and ppp_generic.o for an asynchronous PPP
> connection) may be located somewhere in /lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/net.
> I can't say for sure since I normally compile PPP support directly into
> the kernel and the structure of the /lib/modules for 2.4.x kernels has
> changed from the one for the 2.2.x kernels.

> I would advise upgrading to pppd 2.4.1 since 2.4.0 had problems reading
> special files, e.g., /etc/ppp/options.ttySx files.

> Why it worked one day and not the next is something I think only you
> can determine.

> --

> /* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.
>  *    -- Pepper...and Salt, WSJ */

Hi,

It appears to be a problem caused by the pc card not connecting securely in
the pcmcia slot. If I reinsert the card and press it in extremely firmly,
then I get a  ppp connection.

Thanks.

Rick Bilonick

Can't find interface ppp0: no such device

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:00:03

Hi!,

Quote:> I had installed RH 7.1 the other day on my Toshiba laptop (with help
> from others over weird pcmcia problem). I was able to use kppp to access
> my ISP.

> Last night I was unable to use kppp. I got the message:

> Can't find interface ppp0: No such device

> I tried a bunch of things to no avail. I now have re-installed RH 7.1.
> I'm still getting the same message. It connects to the ISP but won't
> start ppp. Then kppp hangs.

> Other weird things: it never installs linuxconf. I'm using the laptop
> class install so maybe that has something to do with it. Before I had
> upgraded and included linuxconf but still there was no linuxconf.

> Does any one have any idea why I am getting these weird results?

You may have to make some modifications to your /etc/modules.conf file to add
the appropriate commands to load the ppp modules.  You might like to do a
quick look through the kernel source distribution readme file and find out
what commands are needed to be inserted.  If you get stuck, let me know and I
will track down my configuration.  You might want to check the
/var/log/messages file and see whether or not "ppp" is a registered line
discpline.  Failing that, you could also recompile the kernel and include
"ppp" support in the kernel.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Can't find interface ppp0: no such device

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:02:43

Hi!,

Quote:> Some additional info. When I check the /var/log/messages file, it says
> modprobe can't find the ppp0 module. Also, root tries to start pppd 2.4.0.

You might like to upgrade to ppp 2.4.1 as 2.4.0 has a few problems.  You may
also want to issue the following commands:

/sbin/insmod ppp_generic
/sbin/insmod ppp_deflate
/sbin/insmod ppp_async
/sbin/insmod ppp_synctty

See whether or not this helps you out.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

hi, all
    when I run kppp and pushed the 'connect' button, I got the
following messages:

kbuildsycoca running...
ScimInputContextPlugin()
Opener: received OpenLock

Opener: received OpenDevice
Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
In parent: pppd pid 4159
Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
Kernel supports ppp alright.
Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

any reply will be welcomed,thks a lot!

BEST REGARDS
crocodilian

2. Intruder alert

3. Not the Same Dimension Error??????

4. couldn't find interface ppp0: no such device

5. How to save OUTGOING mail

6. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

7. AMD Athlon/Memory Detection?

8. Help with PPP: unregister_netdev: device 'ppp0' unlinked Why?

9. Help with ppp2.2 - unregister_netdev device 'ppp0' unlinked

10. Problem with PPPD 2.20 - device 'ppp0' unlinked

11. error: cannot find ppp0 interface

12. pppd: Couldn′t find interface ppp0