Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

Post by DEEK » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Scott Fleming scribbled:

Quote:> I've followed instructions in the ethernet HOW-TO for configuring Linux
> (redhat 5.2) to share w/ windows machines. So far, I'm able to smbclient to
> all the windows shares, but when accessing the Linux machine from network
> nieghboorhood, I cannot access the server without it prompting me for a
> password.. I don't have something configured correctly, and need some info
> on where to set the proper values to allow windows to browse my linux
> machine.

> In the smb.conf file, I get really confused with all the options.
> How can I share my /user/doc folder so that i can access the files
> contained within from my windows machine?

> Thanks for the help, in advance!

Some variation of the below auta work...

# Global parameters
        workgroup = PLAY
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces = 172.16.1.0/24 127.0.0.1/24
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password %n\n
        log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        load printers = Yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        printer driver file = /home/samba/printers.def
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        guest account = guest
        valid users = Mara_Jade Deek
        hosts allow = 172.16.1. 127.0.0.
        printing = bsd

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/users/%U
        read only = No
        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
        guest ok = No

[work]
        comment = Working Directories
        path = /home/users/work
        read only = No
        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
        guest ok = No

[printer$]
        path = /home/samba
        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
        guest ok = No

[lp]
        comment = Spool on BIOS
        path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = No
        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
        print ok = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr %s
        lppause command = /usr/bin/lpr -i %p-%j -H hold
        lpresume command = /usr/bin/lpr -i %p-%j -H resume
        printer name = lp
        printer driver = HP DeskJet 500
        printer driver location = \\%h\printer$

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
        guest ok = No

[public]
        comment = Public Stuff
        path = /Serv
        read only = No
        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
        guest ok = No

[Mara_Jade]
        comment = Nicole's root
        path = /home/users/Mara_Jade
        read only = No
        valid users = Mara_Jade
        guest ok = No

--
I am a ~/.signature virus. I am taking over
your ~/.signature file now. Flames to

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I've followed instructions in the ethernet HOW-TO for configuring Linux
>(redhat 5.2) to share w/ windows machines. So far, I'm able to smbclient to
>all the windows shares, but when accessing the Linux machine from network
>nieghboorhood, I cannot access the server without it prompting me for a
>password.. I don't have something configured correctly, and need some info
>on where to set the proper values to allow windows to browse my linux
>machine.

[...]

NT uses encrypted passwords, SAMBA per default unencrypted ones.
Change the SAMBA options (see Encryption.txt in the SAMBA sources).

Michael

Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

Post by pacma » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

security = SHARE
should work!

> [...]

>[tmp]
>        comment = Temporary file space
>        path = /tmp
>        read only = No
>        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
>        guest ok = No

>[public]
>        comment = Public Stuff
>        path = /Serv
>        read only = No
>        valid users = Deek Mara_Jade
>        guest ok = No

>[Mara_Jade]
>        comment = Nicole's root
>        path = /home/users/Mara_Jade
>        read only = No
>        valid users = Mara_Jade
>        guest ok = No

>--
>I am a ~/.signature virus. I am taking over
>your ~/.signature file now. Flames to

Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

Post by Ro » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

There are a couple of replys telling you to change security to share
level.  This will work, however, if you want to use user level
security you need to check a couple of things.  In smb.conf, make sure
the encrypt passwords is yes. then make sure you have a user and
smbuser added to the system. with an smbpassword created.

Under windows you will need to create a user profile if you have not
crreated one because otherwise who knows what windows is passing as
the user name to linux.  When you create the new profile in windows,
make sure you dont use any spaces in the user name, because linux
doesn't like white spaces in the name.

now you should be able to browse the shares, assuming you have set
those proper permissions in smb.conf.  Sometimes writing to the share
can be entertaining, so be sure to set read only=no and writeable=yes,
if those don't make it writable you may have to do a chmod to the
directory to get the permissions you want.

You can alse map the user name to give you different permissions, that
is covered in either the howto or the man pages.

A very good book for learning samba is Learn Samba in 24 Hours by
Sams.

Ron.
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 06:15:46 +0500 , Scott Fleming

>I've followed instructions in the ethernet HOW-TO for configuring Linux
>(redhat 5.2) to share w/ windows machines. So far, I'm able to smbclient to
>all the windows shares, but when accessing the Linux machine from network
>nieghboorhood, I cannot access the server without it prompting me for a
>password.. I don't have something configured correctly, and need some info
>on where to set the proper values to allow windows to browse my linux
>machine.

>In the smb.conf file, I get really confused with all the options.
>How can I share my /user/doc folder so that i can access the files
>contained within from my windows machine?

>Thanks for the help, in advance!

>                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

Post by Linux heer » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

be sure that in de smb.conf

encrypted passwd is on

Greets

Roland

1. Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

I've followed instructions in the ethernet HOW-TO for configuring Linux
(redhat 5.2) to share w/ windows machines. So far, I'm able to smbclient to
all the windows shares, but when accessing the Linux machine from network
nieghboorhood, I cannot access the server without it prompting me for a
password.. I don't have something configured correctly, and need some info
on where to set the proper values to allow windows to browse my linux
machine.

In the smb.conf file, I get really confused with all the options.
How can I share my /user/doc folder so that i can access the files
contained within from my windows machine?

Thanks for the help, in advance!

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Strange error message

3. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

4. APM/UPS setup on Redhat 7.3

5. How to translate Linux's PS1 prompt to Unix's PS1 prompt?

6. new slakware

7. DOS PC to the 'Net via Linux box's SLIP?

8. Problems with Mandrake 9.1 - can someone help?

9. How to translate Linux's PS1 prompt to Unix's PS1 prompt?

10. 'ls' doesn't work on net-2 in.ftpd for shadow passwords

11. samba: 'net view \\server' works, 'net view' fails

12. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

13. LINUXWORLD: IBM'S MILLS SEES LINUX IN 'NEW ERA'