FTP setup and cdrom

Post by <ASU.. » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

How does one make the cdrom drive accessable to the anon ftp user?
I have no problem with making a directory in the /home/ftp directory
and placing files there.
But the cdrom concept eludes me...any suggestions?

FTP setup and cdrom

Post by Matt Kirsc » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> How does one make the cdrom drive accessable to the anon ftp user?
> I have no problem with making a directory in the /home/ftp directory
> and placing files there.
> But the cdrom concept eludes me...any suggestions?

You would have to mount the CDROM drive in /home/ftp.

When an anonymous user ftp's in, the /home/ftp directory
is "chroot"ed so it looks like the / directory to the user.
It is a security feature that keeps the user from getting
to important files on your system. Directoried below
/home/ftp, like /home/ftp/pub, can be accessed, but
directories above /home/ftp, like /home, can not.
--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."