ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

Post by buck » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:54:02

I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb)  TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
--
buck

Post by Geoff Lan » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:13:45

> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

I think ipconfig is the closest windows command line utility.

Geoff Lane

ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

Post by Shadow_ » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:58:51

Quote:> I think ipconfig is the closest windows command line utility.

ditto.

winipcfg on older windows.

ipconfig /ALL

in combination with

route PRINT

Most of the stuff is gui based.  Not that they all of them are accessible
from the menu by default.  Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager ->
Network Interface -> Properties -> TCP/IP -> and friends. I'm kind of
surprised that I remember that. I haven't run windows or worked in windows
for several years.  Half a decade even.  The real trick is regedit.exe
tricks to change your MTU size and stuff.  Which varies between versions.

Why do they keep calling it java when it's really C#+-XYZ?  As I look at my
java game book, and see that almost every I/O call on it has been
deprecated.

ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

Post by Rikishi 4 » Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:23:18

Quote:

> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

> The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
> and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
> RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
> TX packets:80610778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb)  TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

> and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
> Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
> some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?

Under the Win9x/ME familly: Start/run/winipcfg

Under NT4, W2K, XP and probably Vista:

'ipconfig' will get you ip address, subnet mask and default gateway.
'ipconfig /all' will get you more details (DNS, DHCP, etc...)

Also, if the machine is configured to use DHCP:
'ipconfig /release' will release the IP to DHCP
'ipconfig /renew' will request an address from the DHCP

Douglas Adams

Post by jlfar.. » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 04:53:31

> > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
> > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
> > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

> > The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
> > and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
> > RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
> > TX packets:80610778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0
> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> > RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb) ?TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

> > and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
> > Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
> > some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?

> Under the Win9x/ME familly: Start/run/winipcfg

> Under NT4, W2K, XP and probably Vista:

> 'ipconfig' will get you ip address, subnet mask and default gateway.
> 'ipconfig /all' will get you more details (DNS, DHCP, etc...)

> Also, if the machine is configured to use DHCP:
> 'ipconfig /release' will release the IP to DHCP
> 'ipconfig /renew' will request an address from the DHCP

> --
> There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
> The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
> Douglas Adams

Hey you may want to try the "netsh" commands in windows, this is a
powerful command line.
Try "netsh diag adapter 1".........hope this helps

Post by buck » Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:23:20

>> > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
>> > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
>> > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

>> > The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
>> > and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
>> > RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
>> > TX packets:80610778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0
>> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>> > RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb) ?TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

>> > and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
>> > Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
>> > some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
>Hey you may want to try the "netsh" commands in windows, this is a
>powerful command line.
>Try "netsh diag adapter 1".........hope this helps

netsh opens a shell.  There is no "diag" and none of the available
commands looks promising.  What version of Windows does this work for?
--
buck

ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

Post by Shadow_ » Wed, 02 Apr 2008 12:23:19

Quote:> netsh opens a shell.  There is no "diag" and none of the available
> commands looks promising.  What version of Windows does this work for?

Apparently Vista.  I just used netsh for the first time today.

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "1" MTU=576 stored=persistent

(or something like that)
I guess that's better than hacking the windows registry to change MTU
size.  But still a bit cryptic and relatively undocumented.  I had to
google from linux to get that gem.  Because I couldn't get anything across
the internet aside from a ping until I made the change.  Which is odd
because it worked fine six months ago when I last booted windows.

ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

Post by lawn.. » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:11:08

Quote:> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.
[...]
> and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
> Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
> some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
> --
> buck

netstat -es

Post by buck » Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:16:05

>> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
>> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
>> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.
>[...]
>> and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
>> Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
>> some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
>> --
>> buck

>netstat -es

YES!  That works well enough.  Thank you so much.
--
buck

1. ifconfig le0 and ifconfig le1 show same MAC address

I have a Sun Sparc 5 with two ethernet cards installed.
They both seem to be working fine.  I recently needed to get the
MAC address off both ethernet cards.  Here are my results

AW5111# ifconfig le0
le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet X.X.8.67 netmask ffff0000 broadcast 151.128.255.255
        ether 8:0:20:7c:b8:47
AW5111# ifconfig le1
le1: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet X.X.147.5 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 199.164.147.255
        ether 8:0:20:7c:b8:47
AW5111#

(IP addresses were intentionally doctored)
Why do I not get two different ethernet MAC addresses?

Thanks,

2. automatic login by telnet

3. Weird ifconfig error: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

4. smf: i imported with svccfg, how do i undo that?

5. ifconfig -a = ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

6. Strange entry in /var/log/wtmp (from last -i)

7. Linux / Unix equivalent to Windows Domain

8. ISDN callerid.conf - How to bring up linux from a mobile phone call

9. keyboard shortcut for windows equivalent of ctrl-tab

10. Is there a Linux equivalent of Windows COM?

11. Mac Finder / Windows 95 "MyComputer" equivalent

12. Windows Services equivalent on Solaris

13. A Windows Notepad.exe Equivalent