printing to pocket print server from linux

printing to pocket print server from linux

Post by revistan » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:06:35

I have a pocket print server on network, with few printers on and IP
addresses assigned to each printer.  I also need to print to one of the HP
printers on pocket server from linux box.  I understand that I'll need to do
entry to my printcap file, but do I also need to install printer driver on
my linux box? I don't have X on it, so it's kind of hard.  I'm using redhat
6.1 and printer is HP 1120c.
TIA

printing to pocket print server from linux

Post by Villy Kru » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:28:00

On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:06:35 GMT,

Quote:>I have a pocket print server on network, with few printers on and IP
>addresses assigned to each printer.  I also need to print to one of the HP
>printers on pocket server from linux box.  I understand that I'll need to do
>entry to my printcap file, but do I also need to install printer driver on
>my linux box? I don't have X on it, so it's kind of hard.  I'm using redhat
>6.1 and printer is HP 1120c.

That depends on what you are trying to print.  A simple filter to insert
carriage returns befor linefeeds may be need if you print plain text.

You must know that the standard lpr package delivered with RH6.1 is broken
when used with remote printer servers.  I suggest to get and install LPRng
intead (http://www.lprng.com/).

Villy