Redhat Dual 3c509 card problems

Post by Kim Nielse » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

with the 3com cards come a program (3c5x9cfg.exe if I remember) that is used
to assign each card io and irq. They must be different from each other or it
wont work.

It runs under dos (boot from a dos boot disk) and can be downloaded from
3com if you lost the disk.

Kim Nielsen

Quote:> Dear World,

> Linux newbie here. I am trying to set up an old 486 running Redhat 6.1,
> kernel 2.12-20 with two ethernet cards (3c509b and 3c509 TPO). I intend to
> use it as a router/NAT in my LAN (just for fun)

> With linuxconf, I configure eth0 and eth1 with different IP addresses

> Bootup messages indicate that both eth1 and eth0 are initialized
(dmesg|more
> confirms this. both have different hardware addresses). However, after
> logging in, ifconfig -a says that only eth0 is UP. I confirm this by ping
> and telnet to remote servers.

> ifconfig tells me that both eth have different hardware address, but the
> same address (0x300) and IRQ (10) [perhaps this is the problem? If so, how
> to change this?]

> Any ideas?

Redhat Dual 3c509 card problems

Post by Rizal Mohd. Zi » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

OK, it's working now, thanks very much. Now I just need the computer to make
decisions on which interface to use. Thanks again

Rizal

> with the 3com cards come a program (3c5x9cfg.exe if I remember) that is
used
> to assign each card io and irq. They must be different from each other or
it
> wont work.

> It runs under dos (boot from a dos boot disk) and can be downloaded from
> 3com if you lost the disk.

> Kim Nielsen

> > Dear World,

> > Linux newbie here. I am trying to set up an old 486 running Redhat 6.1,
> > kernel 2.12-20 with two ethernet cards (3c509b and 3c509 TPO). I intend
> > use it as a router/NAT in my LAN (just for fun)

> > With linuxconf, I configure eth0 and eth1 with different IP addresses

> > Bootup messages indicate that both eth1 and eth0 are initialized
> (dmesg|more
> > confirms this. both have different hardware addresses). However, after
> > logging in, ifconfig -a says that only eth0 is UP. I confirm this by
ping
> > and telnet to remote servers.

> > ifconfig tells me that both eth have different hardware address, but the
> > same address (0x300) and IRQ (10) [perhaps this is the problem? If so,
how
> > to change this?]

> > Any ideas?

1. Dual 3c509 cards

I have two 3c509 cards in my linux box under kernel version 1.2.1.
Version 1.03 of the 3c509 driver (written by Becker) only finds
the first card, but can't find the second.  When I boot under DOS,
I can talk to both cards.  So linux should be able to talk to them
both, RIGHT?

I have version 1.07 of the kernel, but is this going to help?
I tried putting stuff in the lilo.conf file, but it doesn't help.
In fact, I can't even control which card linux attaches to (it
grabs my 3c509 TP, rather than the 3c509 combo).

What is the syntax for the lilo.conf append lines anyway?  I tried
doing
    append ether= ...
but that wants to look for an EtherExpress card.  Then I tried
    append "3c509=0x10, 0x300, eth0"
and also
    append "3c509=0x300,10,eth0"
What is the correct syntax for this?

More importantly, why doesn't the 3c509 driver pick up both cards,
and why can't I control which card it picks up?

Bill Weedon

2. Which program is for install in redhat CD for linux

3. Dual 3c509 Cards under Linux

4. HFS to A/UX can't find name of SCSI drive for pdisk

5. Redhat 7.0 and 3c509 card...

6. Weitek P9100 Support

7. Installing 3com 3c509 ethernet card with Redhat 5.2

8. Logging in to a 40P-7020

9. Setting Up two 3c509 ISA cards in RedHat Linux 5.0

10. Configure 2 PnP 3c509 cards in RedHat 5.0

11. RedHat 4.1 with 2 3c509 cards

12. 3c509 problem !!!!! - 3c509.txt [01/01]

13. RedHat 4.0 3c509 problems...