RH 7.1 - Problem printing to Win2K server...

RH 7.1 - Problem printing to Win2K server...

Post by David Orriss J » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 02:24:14



Hi,

I have an OfficeJet G85 printer on my Win2K server box.  I have
installed the lpd service on Win2k and it's working correctly.  If I use
the following command to print a plain text file to the printer from my
linux box it works fine:


However, I have tried to configure the print access using the
'printconf' program and I'm having a problem.  Specifically if I try
this command:

lpr index.html

I get the following message:

Status Information:

  connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
  cannot open connection to localhost - Connection timed out
Make sure LPD server is running on the server

Printconf put the following in the /etc/printcap file:

hpg85:\
         :sh:\
         :ml=0:\
         :mx=0:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpg85:\
         :rm=davidjr:\
         :rp=HPG85:\
         :bk:\
         :lpd_bounce=true:\
         :if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:

Incidentally, I get a similar error message when I try to print a
testpage from printconf.

Help...?  TIA!!

 
 
 

RH 7.1 - Problem printing to Win2K server...

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:13:45


Hi!,

> I have an OfficeJet G85 printer on my Win2K server box.  I have
> installed the lpd service on Win2k and it's working correctly.  If I use
> the following command to print a plain text file to the printer from my
> linux box it works fine:


> However, I have tried to configure the print access using the
> 'printconf' program and I'm having a problem.  Specifically if I try
> this command:

> lpr index.html

> I get the following message:

> Status Information:

>   connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
>   cannot open connection to localhost - Connection timed out
> Make sure LPD server is running on the server

Check to make sure that the hostname "davidjr" can actually be resolved to the
IP address of the win2k server.  You might like to try and key in the IP
address of the Win2K server rather than "davidjr" and check to see whether it
is a problem with the hostname being translated into a IP address.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

RH 7.1 - Problem printing to Win2K server...

Post by David Orriss J » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:23:19


Hey Dean!

On Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:13:45 +1000, Dean Thompson


>Hi!,

>Check to make sure that the hostname "davidjr" can actually be resolved to the
>IP address of the win2k server.  

It does.

Quote:>You might like to try and key in the IP
>address of the Win2K server rather than "davidjr" and check to see whether it
>is a problem with the hostname being translated into a IP address.

Already tried that.  Same problem.

--
David Orriss Jr
http://www.davenet.net/
http://www.codeskanks.com/

perl -le '$_="6110>374086;2064208213:90<307;55";tr[0->][ LEOR!AUBGNSTY];print'

 
 
 

RH 7.1 - Problem printing to Win2K server...

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:29:50


Hi!,

Quote:>>Check to make sure that the hostname "davidjr" can actually be resolved to
>>the IP address of the win2k server.

> It does.

>>You might like to try and key in the IP
>>address of the Win2K server rather than "davidjr" and check to see whether
>>it is a problem with the hostname being translated into a IP address.

> Already tried that.  Same problem.

*!.  Okay, one other thought that crosses my mind is firewalls.  Is it
possible that the port which the printing system is using is being blocked by
a * firewall somewhere.  Remember some boxes will put in firewalls behind
your back.  Although I know this works from the command line, it might be the
daemon which has problems trying to talk to the request.  If possible, do a
"netstat" and see whether or not you can see any traffic building up trying to
get to a remote host.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

RH 7.1 - Problem printing to Win2K server...

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:41:25


Hi!,

Quote:> Perhaps I should just tell the RH firewall to accept anything sent to
> it from the Win2K server address...?  Or is that creating too much of
> a security hole?

If you are in a network where both machines can be completely trusted (that
is, the Win2K machine can't be comprimised and then used as a basis to attack
your Linux box ) then I would say that it would be okay, although it isn't
normally a good thing to do in practice.

If you turn on logging for all your dropped packets on your iptables firewall,
then you might actually see if there are any packets being dropped by your RH
box.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

1. Help wanted setting up Windows X server (Win2k) to connect to RH 7.1

Hi,

Are you running a Windows X server and RH 7.1?

I have been trying to connect my Windows 2000 client to a Red Hat 7.1 server
so the KDE desktop is displayed.

After reading many articles an notes on configuration I still have yet to
get the Linux desktop to display on my Windows screen.

Can anyone offer any guidance please...

In anticipation,

Phil

2. ISDN/newsfeed

3. Dual Win2K/RH 7.1 Linux booting problems

4. xemacs & RH5.0

5. RH 7.1 - win2k network problem

6. MP3s

7. Move users from RH 6.1 server to RH 7.1 server

8. Copy your MBR to use as a boot floppy or backup

9. Linux RH 7.1 and Win2K

10. RH 7.1 to Win2K

11. Pseudo Triple-boot: Win2k, WinMe, RH Linux 7.1

12. Bizarre Print Problem with RH 7.1

13. printing problems in RH 7.1