ANNOUNCE: CCFaudio conferencing tool new release

ANNOUNCE: CCFaudio conferencing tool new release

Post by Michael Hirsc » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

                          CCF
            Collaborative Computing Frameworks

                    Emory University
                    Atlanta, GA, USA
                     October 22 1998

We have a new version (981022) of ccfaudio available at the usual
locations:
    http://ccf.mathcs.emory.edu/ccf/software.html
    ftp:/cssun.mathcs.emory.edu/pub/ccf/CCFaudio

There are two big improvement of this version:

   enable use on machines without multicast hardware.  This change
   made it much easier to find and fix networking bugs, leading to the
   next two items.  Once again, we've found that it pays to listen
   to your users!

2) We did lots of debugging of the networking code.  CCFaudio now
   works  correctly with 3 or more WANs connected together.

3) x86 Linux<-->Big Endian interaction improved.

Read about it and get some screenshots at:
http://ccf.mathcs.emory.edu/ccf/Readmes/ccfaudio.html

Download it in source or binary from:
http://ccf.mathcs.emory.edu/ccf/software.html

You might like to join our discussion lists (send bug reports!).
There is one for announcements and one for discussion.  To join the
lists, send email to

with contents
   subscribe ccf-interest
or contents
   subscribe ccf-announce

What make CCFaudio any different from any other internet phone?

1) Multiparty -- CCFaudio support more than two users.  Any number can
   join a conference (though we haven't tested with more than 10).

2) Mixing -- when two or more people speak CCFaudio mixes the voices
   intelligibly.  The number that can be mixes depends only on the
   speed of your CPU.  A 486-50 has no trouble mixing two voices.  Any
   Pentium should have no trouble with three simultaneous speakers.

3) Threading -- The gui runs in a separate thread, so fiddling with
   the controls does not interrupt the sound stream.

4) No MBONE needed -- Every other conferencing tool we've seen uses
   the MBONE for it's multicast, which is bad news if you aren't on
   the mbone.  CCFaudio does its own networking in a very efficient
   way.  One udp broadcast per LAN in a session followed by multicast
   on each LAN.

5) (NEW) No multicasting needed.  CCFaudio can now work without
   multicast hardware.

6) Ease of use -- All you need to know to join a conference is the
   name of the session and the name (or address) of the machine 1
   person is on.  If someone on your LAN is in the conference you only
   need the name of the session.

7) CCFringer-- For even greater ease of use we provide CCFringer, a
   small address book, conference creator, inviter and receiver
   program to automatically invite people into a conference.

8) High fidelity -- CCFaudio has many user adjustable settings to
   control sound quality.  Compression, redundancy, silence detection,
   input/output volume and more are easily controlled with a point and
   click gui interface.  (There is even a -nogui switch for those
   without X windows.)  We find that even under bad network conditions
   CCFaudio is intelligible with up to 30% packet loss if you turn on
   redundancy.

9) Source availability -- Teach yourself how to build an internet
   phone :)

--
Michael D, Hirsch                       Work: (404) 727-7940
Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322     FAX: (404) 727-5611

Public key for encrypted mail available upon request (or finger