Seeking Advice on Wireless Networking for Laptop w/ Linux

Seeking Advice on Wireless Networking for Laptop w/ Linux

Post by Thornton Prim » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I would like to be able to roam about our office with my laptop.
Originally I tought of installing ethernet jacks in every room
... but quickly realized how impractical this would be.

Are there any relatively inexpensive solutions (<$750) for
wireless networking system? We won't need a radius of more than
25m (indoor).

We would obviously prefer the highest bandwidth possible (it
would be nice to use the laptop to browse the web and/or serve
X-apps running on other machines) but would also be interested in
low-bandwidth options (enough for telnet) if that was all that
was available for our price.

I have tried to gather information on a few of the PCMCIA
wireless ethernet cards supported in Linux, but from what little
I can tell, these require the installation of rather expensive
relay transcievers. While this might make sense if we had quite a
few roaming laptops, we only have one, and can't justify an
expensive installation.

Any advice, recommendations, good or bad experiences?

thornton

Post by Robert Lync » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I would like to be able to roam about our office with my laptop.
> Originally I tought of installing ethernet jacks in every room
> ... but quickly realized how impractical this would be.

> Are there any relatively inexpensive solutions (<$750) for
> wireless networking system? We won't need a radius of more than
> 25m (indoor).

I don't have any personal experience, but struck a chord right after
reading this SF Chronicle newspaper article this morning:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

In any case I thought you might find it interesting.  When it comes out,
bet the only software is for "Windows 95, 98 or NT", tho. ;-(

Quote:> We would obviously prefer the highest bandwidth possible (it
> would be nice to use the laptop to browse the web and/or serve
> X-apps running on other machines) but would also be interested in
> low-bandwidth options (enough for telnet) if that was all that
> was available for our price.

> I have tried to gather information on a few of the PCMCIA
> wireless ethernet cards supported in Linux, but from what little
> I can tell, these require the installation of rather expensive
> relay transcievers. While this might make sense if we had quite a
> few roaming laptops, we only have one, and can't justify an
> expensive installation.

> Any advice, recommendations, good or bad experiences?

> thornton

HTH.

Bob L.
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rm*/

Post by Bruce Stan » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>> I would like to be able to roam about our office with my laptop.
>> Originally I tought of installing ethernet jacks in every room
>> ... but quickly realized how impractical this would be.

You might check out the WaveLAN products, http://www.wavelan.com/. I
don't have much experience with these but my ISP connection uses a
WaveLAN clone on a Linux box as its router. Linux driver support for
the ISA version is in the kernel. Both ISA and PC Card versions are
available. I get a sustained 1.5 Mbps using an external antenna on 2.4
Ghz to my ISP located several miles away. Drivers are also available
for Win 95/98 and Win NT 4.

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>You might check out the WaveLAN products, http://www.wavelan.com/. I
>don't have much experience with these but my ISP connection uses a
>WaveLAN clone on a Linux box as its router. Linux driver support for
>the ISA version is in the kernel. Both ISA and PC Card versions are
>available. I get a sustained 1.5 Mbps using an external antenna on 2.4
>Ghz to my ISP located several miles away. Drivers are also available
>for Win 95/98 and Win NT 4.

How much did the cards cost? About a year I looked into WaveLan and others
and they were prohibitively expensive ($700 apiece).

miguel

Seeking Advice on Wireless Networking for Laptop w/ Linux

Post by Scot E. Wilcoxo » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

You could see if the new $100 wireless device on
diamondmm.com (I see a press release about it) will
work on Linux.  If they don't mention Linux, ask
them.

1. Advice sought: seeking archival storage system for Linux

Recently, due to space shortage on my Windows 95 partition, I have moved my
huge collection of Offline Archive files to my Linux ext2 partition.  These
are files that I've accumulated over time -- shareware programs, graphics
files, etc. -- that I need to keep around in accessable format (if a friend
requires a certain shareware program, I should be able to dig it up within a
reasonable amount of time, etc.).  Moving them over to Linux is acceptable
because it doesn't take much effort to shut down Windows 95 (when I'm at a
convenient "stopping point" in my work), boot into Linux, get the files, etc.

The ideal solution, of course, would be to either get a bigger hard drive, or
(this is what I REALLY want to do) get an entire machine to dedicate to
Linux, so that I can use both at the same time (which is what I want to do
anyway).  But alas, money is the limiting factor: basically, I have none to
spend.

My problem is that, with all the stuff dumped onto my Linux system, I have no
space available.  In order to fit all my archives on Linux, I had to compress
a great deal of the system binaries and all of my local files.  This leaves
very little of a usable system, so I can't get a lot of work done.

What I do have is about a TON (literally!) of 3.5" high density (1.44Mb)
floppy disks.  What I am looking for is a Linux program that I can use to
archive all of my stuff onto these floppy disks.

The program would have to do this:

Priority     Function
========     ========
high         Maintain a "table of contents" that lists what files are on
             what disk(s)

high         Be able to random-access the archive: if I wanted a specific
             file, and it was located on disk #14, I wouldn't have to go
             through disks #1-13 to get to it.

high         Be able to add new files to the end of the archive, without
             having to re-do the whole thing all over again.

low          Be able to store the files in any of the filesystem formats,
             mainly MS-DOS.

I'm hoping (and praying) that this isn't such an insurmountable task.  Surely
someone else has come up with a need similar to mine, and maybe a program
exists that can fill these needs.

I'm attempting to search the archives, but so far, have had not much luck.

Please, if anyone nows of a program that can help me out, please e-mail a
response (preferable) or post a follow-up.  Thanks!
--

TEL: (805)564-1871 // FAX: 564-2315 // WWW: http://www.silcom.com/~picard
PGP Public Key and more are available through the Auto-Responder -- send

2. cbreak mode

3. Advice sought for setting up a linux network

4. SOCKETS queston

5. seeking advice on laptop purchase

6. editing the .xinitrc file

7. Linux, Laptop & Wireless Network

8. Q: Max UIDs on Solaris 7 ?

9. Network backup devices [Advice sought]

10. Network applications: advice sought

11. Wireless Home Network Advice

12. Wireless ethernet in laptop to hard-wired ethernet network, is it possible?

13. Getting wireless networking to work on my laptop...