PPPD w/ PAP not working, works fine w/o PAP

PPPD w/ PAP not working, works fine w/o PAP

Post by Bjarne N. Mortense » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP, which is using PAP (so
>says winbows). My old ISP didn't use pap and I had no problems setting
>that up, it worked great. After doing a little investigating into my new
>ISP, I found that If I minicom into the server, hit return, it gives me
>a login promp, but I have to hit return, then when I login, it's like a
>unix command prompt, not the PPP garbage (I can actually type things
>like "who" and 'telnet" and "rlogin" and stuff and get everything you'd
>expect). I was thinking that my client machine needed to send the ISP a
>"LCP" packet (or so the howto says). But I have no idea if thats what
>needs to be done nor how to do it. I've made the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
>file and double checked it. When I run "pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS1 57600
>&" it just does nothing, the RD/SD lights just sit there blank, theres
>no communication.

>Help, Ideas, Comments, References would be greatly apprecieated

>Thanks

>Paradox

>juan_valdezz#snotmail.com

I use SuSE Linux 5.3 with the KDE windowmanager. It includes a dialup tool
called kPPP, which works great. With that you can create a script to login
which sends a LCP packet after a certain period of time to get the server to
continue. I think the KDE homepage is www.kde.org, but i'm not sure. Anyway
the SuSE online support database can propably tell you what you need. It's
on www.suse.com . Just click the support link.

Post by Phil DeBecke » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP, which is using PAP (so
> >says winbows). My old ISP didn't use pap and I had no problems setting
> >that up, it worked great. After doing a little investigating into my new
> >ISP, I found that If I minicom into the server, hit return, it gives me
> >a login promp, but I have to hit return, then when I login, it's like a
> >unix command prompt, not the PPP garbage (I can actually type things
> >like "who" and 'telnet" and "rlogin" and stuff and get everything you'd
> >expect). I was thinking that my client machine needed to send the ISP a
> >"LCP" packet (or so the howto says). But I have no idea if thats what
> >needs to be done nor how to do it. I've made the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> >file and double checked it. When I run "pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS1 57600
> >&" it just does nothing, the RD/SD lights just sit there blank, theres
> >no communication.

> >Help, Ideas, Comments, References would be greatly apprecieated

I just switched to an ISP that uses PAP from one that didn't and had to solve
these issues myself.  Using the PPP-Howto it took about 5 minutes, but here's
what I did in a nutshell:

1) change my ppp-on script to simply dial the connection and expect a
"CONNECT".   It must not send a password or anything else after the CONNECT
string is received. You may be doing some or all of these things in your
/etc/ppp/options file; same applies there.

2) edit my /etc/ppp/options file to add a "name foo" line, where "foo" is the
account name I use at my ISP.

3) edit the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file to contain the name, account name, the
password, and * for the IP address.

That's really it.  The key is to do nothing beyond the CONNECT line; otherwise
you'll send strings which make the ISP think you want a manual login (my ISP
acts like yours: if I dial in using seyon and hit return, I get a login
prompt.  The first time I tried using my old ppp script, I got the same thing).

Hope this helps,
Phil

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I'm trying to set up a PPP connection to my ISP, which is using PAP (so
>says winbows). My old ISP didn't use pap and I had no problems setting
>that up, it worked great. After doing a little investigating into my new

A PAP login cannot be "manually" initiated (like using minicom,
then hitting Ctrl-A Q, then running pppd).

Briefly (email me if you want more details):

Main command (all one 1 line, and replace the variables)

    /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 crtscts defaultroute lock user
    $ACCOUNT remotename $ISP connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

It's the "user" param that makes pppd start using PAP.  This is
done as soon as the modem connection is established.  Not after
"logging in" in some way.

So DIALER_SCRIPT is a standard chat script that only gets you upto
the "CONNECT" only (email me if you want the script itself - but
most Linux distros should have something in /etc/ppp that will be
easy to tweak).  My DIALER_SCRIPT is a bash script that execs
chat.  Directly having "chat -f filename" after the connect should
also work.

/etc/ppp/options (for me) has only the word "lock".

The all-important thing is /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.  This should have
perms of 600, owned by root, and contain the userid, ispname (same
as in $ISP above), and password.

If you still cant get connected, email me.  HTH.