IP_Traffic over a small LAN

Post by Juan Jose Ruiz Pere » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello:

I maintain a small Ethernet LAN (about one hundred PC's and workstations running
W95, W311, HPUX, Mac...).
The main servers are running Linux (RedHat 5.1). I have noticed that IP traffic
bettween boxes is sometimes very slow, I suspect a high level of collitions
inside the LAN due to an intermitent malfunction in a Ethernet card.
?Does anybody know any software available for monitoring all the IP traffic over
a LAN?. The software I am looking for should be able to do the following:
- Put the ethernet card in promiscuous mode so that it listens to all ip
packages.
- Separate traffic coming different IP addresses in order to analize each
internal IP address separately.
- Gererate any statistics about the traffic generated by the different IP
addresses.
- Detect collitions inside the LAN between the different boxes.

I have already tried IPtraf, sniffit but they don't do exactly what i want.

Thanks in advance.

IP_Traffic over a small LAN

Post by Stefano Del Cont Bernar » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi Juan

Did you tried tcpdump?, I don't know if it can detect LAN collisions but it
can be used for the other things you want (put NIC in promiscuos mode,
separate traffic from different IP, generate statistics about IP traffic).
Take a look at http://ee.lbl.gov/

Ciao
Stefano

Quote:>Hello:

>I maintain a small Ethernet LAN (about one hundred PC's and workstations
running
>W95, W311, HPUX, Mac...).
>The main servers are running Linux (RedHat 5.1). I have noticed that IP
traffic
>bettween boxes is sometimes very slow, I suspect a high level of collitions
>inside the LAN due to an intermitent malfunction in a Ethernet card.
>?Does anybody know any software available for monitoring all the IP traffic
over
>a LAN?.

(SNIP)

1. Solaris x86 for small LAN server?

        I am considering replacing my aged SPARCstation IPC
(running SunOS 4.1.3_U1) with a Pentium based server on my home office
LAN (serving three local machines plus several dial-in users).  I am
curious to know the suitability of Solaris x86?  Will I run into the
user restrictions (allegedly only 1-2 users on the desktop version of
Solaris x86)?

        The machine will also have to run INN (InterNetNews), UUCP,
Sendmail, PPP, CSL/ip, X11R6, etc.  The machine will most likely be a
Pentium 100MHz with 32MB RAM, 2GB disk, no monitor, etc.

        I'd like to hear from anybody running in a similar
configuration.

Thanks.

Mike.

Northstar Technologies                 WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch
Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA                      Compuserve: 76620,2534

2. help running servlets

3. mediaone cable and small home lan questions

4. using gsmssend-1.7 to send sms via ICQ

5. Slow Win95 client Logins with Samba 2.0.2 as PDC in small office LAN

6. Samba and W98

7. Hardware recommendation for small LAN

8. How to Install Elsa/Compaq Gloria M/L on Mandrake 8.0?

9. setting up a small LAN

10. off the shelf small/simple hardware for lan, usb, compact flash?

11. Can someone answer some question on setting up a small home lan and dialup internet access

12. sugest distribution for small lan ftp server

13. best print solution for small LAN?