Routing Win 95 thru Linux w/ISDN and Ethernet

Routing Win 95 thru Linux w/ISDN and Ethernet

Post by Scott R. Ehrli » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello to all:

First, I'd like to thank those who responded to my previous posts.   My
Linux box is now back up and running fine and on the net.

Now, my last problem (I think) is to get my Win 95 PC routing back through
my linux box onto the net.

My setup:

- Win 95 PC with Ethernet card

- Linux box with Ethernet card and external ISDN terminal adapter on com
port

- Minihub between Win 95 and linux PCs.

I am running Caldera Openlinux 1.1 with the default kernel of 2.0.29.

I am now able to also telnet from my Win 95 PC into my Linux box, but
cannot get out to the rest of the net.   My Linux box, as mentioned above,
is doing just fine on the net.

What HOWTO and/or FAQ do I need to read, or configuration change should I
make on my Linuxbox to permit my 95 PC to route through it onto the
Internet?

Thanks much in advance.

--
-------------------------

Scott Ehrlich Consulting                http://www.shore.net/~sehrlich
Amateur Radio Callsign: wy1z

Post by Kevin Lewi » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hello to all:

> First, I'd like to thank those who responded to my previous posts.   My
> Linux box is now back up and running fine and on the net.

> Now, my last problem (I think) is to get my Win 95 PC routing back through
> my linux box onto the net.

> My setup:

> - Win 95 PC with Ethernet card

> - Linux box with Ethernet card and external ISDN terminal adapter on ...
> What HOWTO and/or FAQ do I need to read, or configuration change should I
> make on my Linuxbox to permit my 95 PC to route through it onto the
> Internet?

Are you running routed?  Do you have a default router defined on the W95
box?

Good Luck

Routing Win 95 thru Linux w/ISDN and Ethernet

Post by nate dutr » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hello to all:

> First, I'd like to thank those who responded to my previous posts.   My
> Linux box is now back up and running fine and on the net.

> Now, my last problem (I think) is to get my Win 95 PC routing back
through
> my linux box onto the net.

Check out the ip masquerading mini-howto.

--

I do not speak for Epic Systems Corporation...man!

Post by Dr. Yuan Li » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> > Now, my last problem (I think) is to get my Win 95 PC routing back through
> > my linux box onto the net.

> > My setup:

> > - Win 95 PC with Ethernet card

> > - Linux box with Ethernet card and external ISDN terminal adapter on ...
> > What HOWTO and/or FAQ do I need to read, or configuration change should I

Read Net2 howto for sure.

Quote:> > make on my Linuxbox to permit my 95 PC to route through it onto the
> > Internet?

> Are you running routed?  Do you have a default router defined on the W95
> box?

You also need to enable IP packet forwarding in the kernel (disabled
by default, so you may need to recompile).  It is said that gated is
much better than routed (my experience was also that gated works
with a PPP link better).  To actually allow your Win 95 to connect
to the Net (guess you mean the whole Internet), you'll have to ask
your ISP to add a route to your Win 95 PC's IP address, if you do
not already have a subnet.  If a backward route is not added, your
PC will not be able to talk to anybody.  (One get around is to use
your Linux as a proxy and mail gateway, so you can at least
exchange E-mail, browse the Web, do FTP/Gopher, read news, etc.;
to be able to read news, you'll have to run a local news server, too.)

Hope this helps.

Yuan Liu

|         Dr. Yuan Liu           -     Chitech Technologies Inc.  |
+------ 1(514)281-0494   --------------- 1(514)281-0493 (FAX) ----+

Routing Win 95 thru Linux w/ISDN and Ethernet

Post by Tilman Bo » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Dr. Yuan Liu wrote on Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:54:53 -0500:

Quote:> with a PPP link better).  To actually allow your Win 95 to connect
> to the Net (guess you mean the whole Internet), you'll have to ask
> your ISP to add a route to your Win 95 PC's IP address, if you do
> not already have a subnet.

  This  isn't  strictly  necessary.  Linux  is capable of IP mas-
querading, which means it disguises packets from/to the  masquer-
aded  network (or single machine) as packets from/to itself. This
way, you can have whole networks use a single official IP number.
It would probably still be prudent to check with your ISP WRT the
legalities, as multiple people may be effectively using  the same
account.

--
Cheers, Tilman
                          -=--=*=--=-

1. HTTP pass thru vi Ethernet to Win 95

G'day All,
I have been struggling with Linux for about 3 months now, and it has finally come
to the crunch time.
I need to get a HTTPD up and running, as a demo system only, so I don't really need
all the fancy security etc.
My idea was to have linux act as a server outright. Except I have not enough time
left to struggle with the config any more.
Therefore I have set up the ethernet connection between the Linux box and a Win 95 box.
I can successfully ftp between the to, telnet etc. ifconfig reports the address fine
and ping also works.
I have also set up the Linux box to let in PPP connections from another machine
running Win 95 via modem. I can log in, ping the linux box and ftp the linux box.
The major hassle I have is I cant get the pass through happeninbg to the Win95
on the LAN. Therefore I cant get the calls to the HTTPD to work.
I have read all the HOWTO's ie Net2/3 PPP and Serial, but I confess, it is getting
a little beyond me, as I am Win/Dos brainwashed, and the UNIX style is a little
alien :-)
Anyway, can anyone help. The only other clue I get, as to the nature of the
problem is the route command does not seem to work.
I followed the instructions and type route add -host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx etc and
then type route, without any parameters, and I don't get any response other
than the column headers.
Any ideas?
Please CC the replies, so I get the answers asap.
Thanks for the help, in advance :-)
Regards,
Ben Grantham

2. Install

3. RAS Access from Win 95 to Linux via ISDN

4. /var/dt/* and TT_DB

5. Slow Ethernet: Linux -> Win 95?

6. Desktop granularity

7. Linux as webserver for Win 95 w/ethernet?

8. apache upgrade

9. Ethernet connection between Linux/Win '95

10. ISDN Network problem, ipfwadm, NT3.51, Win 95, wingate

11. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

12. Win 95, Win 3.1 and Linux sharing the same swap?

13. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT