Newbie - Need to install a SMC WD8013 Network Card (Suse)

Newbie - Need to install a SMC WD8013 Network Card (Suse)

Post by Nigel Milha » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi All, I'm totally new to Linux (but am having fun while climbing the
learning curve!)

Suse 6.3

I have installed near as damn it everything and played around a fair bit. I
now want to connect my SMC 8013 network card to allow my Linux box to talk
to my Win98 PC across my network. I have noticed through yast that the above
network card is not listed so have downloaded it from the SMC website. The
file that was downloaded looks like 'C' source code and thus needs to be
compiled somehow.

Could anyone highlight the steps I need to take to get this card installed.
I'll print the reply/ies out and use as my installation recipe.

Thanks

Nigel

Newbie - Need to install a SMC WD8013 Network Card (Suse)

Post by Malwar » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi Nigel,

> now want to connect my SMC 8013 network card to allow my Linux box to talk
> to my Win98 PC across my network. I have noticed through yast that the above
> network card is not listed so have downloaded it from the SMC website. The

The Western Digital driver (wd) is written for those cards and should be
included with SuSE 6.3 out of the box.

Malware

1. Install ethernet 2 SMC Elite 16( WD8013) with RH 5.2

Hi I have cable modem intenet access and I want to install linux server
with this configuration:
Server Linux:
RH 5.2
Processor                :  Pentium 90 MHz
RAM                       : 40 Mo
Hard Disk    SCSI   : Seagate    1 Go
                      IDE   : Conner cp 100 Mo
CDROM     SCSI   : Sony
Graphic adapter      :  ATI mach 32
SCSI adapter          :  Adaptec AH 2940 PCI
Network Card         :2  SMC Elite 16( WD8013)   i/o =280; IRQ= 3 ;
RAM=D0000

i/o=300; IRQ=10; RAM= CC000
Mouse                     : 3 butons ms-compatible

3 Clients working with Windows.

The probleme is my linux doen't recognise my 2 Networks Cards and my
mouse doesn't work  in X.
I need help to configure this server.

Thanks for any help

ps: my english is not good, my mother tongue is french.

2. programming network interfaces

3. Newbie Question about problems in RedHat 7.0 and network card (SMC)

4. shared memory, libraries questions

5. Newbie need help on installing Network Card "Genius LAN GE2500III PCI"

6. Gpm Protocol Error - X crash

7. Newbie trouble with SMC network card

8. mailing question (binary code)

9. Suse 8.1 network install - cannot load network card modules

10. Modules needed for PS2 mouse and SMC network card

11. Help needed for SMC 8432 / DEC21041 Network Card

12. Slow network connection with wd8013 card