Apache sending .htm as plain text...

Post by Robert Heato » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I am moving to Linux! My web site has a mix of .html and .htm. However,
even though I fixed the mime.conf and the netscape mime types any page
with a .htm is read into the browser as a text file.

What am doing wrong?

Robert.

PS: my installation is the default RH5.

Apache sending .htm as plain text...

Post by Laurent Szyste » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi Robert,

The problem is that you updated you mime.conf file, this does
not seem to work properly. And then the header sent by Apache
to your browser does not specify the TYPE as HTML. To do so
your should add the following in your srm.conf file:

  AddType text/html .htm

Also, get a look at the Apache documentation ...

Regards,

Laurent

> I am moving to Linux! My web site has a mix of .html and .htm. However,
> even though I fixed the mime.conf and the netscape mime types any page
> with a .htm is read into the browser as a text file.

> What am doing wrong?

> Robert.

> PS: my installation is the default RH5.

Apache sending .htm as plain text...

Post by Rob van der Putte » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi there

> I am moving to Linux! My web site has a mix of .html and .htm. However,
> even though I fixed the mime.conf and the netscape mime types any page
> with a .htm is read into the browser as a text file.
> What am doing wrong?
> PS: my installation is the default RH5.

Well actually it is not your but RedHat's mistake.
In /etc/mime.types there should be a line:

        text/html       html htm

instead of:

        text/html       html

Regards,