Installing eth cards

Post by AMA » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I installed a second ethernet card on a linux microserver.  When I type
dmesg, I see that the Kernel is aware of and loaded the driver for that
ethernet card.  When I type ifconfig, there is nothing about eth1, that is
the second ethernet card I have installed!

Any ideas what I should do?

Also, how do I get the IP addresses for the router and hup?

Thanks

--
Ayman Elsaedi

Installing eth cards

Post by Nick Farle » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

go to:  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
make a new file named: ifcfg-eth1
in this file place the below text edit to your needs.

DEVICE=eth1
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=yes

after you've done this reboot and everything should work.

Colin

P.S
Make sure you don't have an IRQ conflict

P.P.S
Let me know if you need this device to be DHCP.
The file has to be different for DHCP

> Hi,
> I installed a second ethernet card on a linux microserver.  When I type
> dmesg, I see that the Kernel is aware of and loaded the driver for that
> ethernet card.  When I type ifconfig, there is nothing about eth1, that is
> the second ethernet card I have installed!

> Any ideas what I should do?

> Also, how do I get the IP addresses for the router and hup?

> Thanks

> --
> Ayman Elsaedi
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332

1. Installing eth cards

Hi,
I installed a second ethernet card on a linux microserver.  When I type
dmesg, I see that the Kernel is aware of and loaded the driver for that
ethernet card.  When I type ifconfig, there is nothing about eth1, that is
the second ethernet card I have installed!

Any ideas what I should do?

--
Ayman Elsaedi

2. Problems with Colour on ATI mach64 Graphics Adapter

3. Need Help on #ifdef PLEASE !

4. MQ - how do you rename a wmanager

5. Installing 3com 503c eth net card in SCO VER 1.1

6. Viruses in Linux?

7. problem with RedHat install, PureData eth cards, lost TX, interrupts

8. 2 3c509 cards installed- only one eth active

9. Install sees my eth card but after booting its gone

10. route based on incoming eth out ppp - two eth / two ppp

11. ASANTE eth Cards