HELP: Connecting to ISP with PPP

Post by Daniel W. Erskin » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Greetings:
  My ISP provides PPP as a connection.  I've been able to use SLIP and CSLIP
on Linux kernel 1.2.8.  Due to reasons beyond my control, I cannot get the
latest kernel 2.0.x from the 'Net.  I'ld like to try using PPP, but all the
books I've read discuss setting up the pppd, making my workstation a PPP
server... NOT!!!  I'm needing a setup as a PPP client!
  I've been using Linux for the last few months, so you have every right to
recognize me as a "novice".  If any of you kind people could point me in the
right direction, I would appreciate it.

    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

HELP: Connecting to ISP with PPP

Post by Daniel W. Erskin » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Greetings:
  My ISP provides PPP as a connection.  I've been able to use SLIP and CSLIP
on Linux kernel 1.2.8.  Due to reasons beyond my control, I cannot get the
latest kernel 2.0.x from the 'Net.  I'ld like to try using PPP, but all the
books I've read discuss setting up the pppd, making my workstation a PPP
server... NOT!!!  I'm needing a setup as a PPP client!
  I've been using Linux for the last few months, so you have every right to
recognize me as a "novice".  If any of you kind people could point me in the
right direction, I would appreciate it.

    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

HELP: Connecting to ISP with PPP

Post by Rich Dubraws » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I found a lot of useful information on setting up a connection with my ISP
using ppp in the DIP-Networking Guide which is regularly posted on several
linux newsgroups.  In a nutshell, if you already have the ability to establish
a SLIP connection then you have done mush of the work.  You will need a kernel
with ppp support compiled in and login information for your ISP (phone number,
prompts and your replies , etc) which you will use to setup a chat script.
The easiest way to setup the chat script is to ftp to sunsite and download
pppsetup fro the /pub/Linux/system/Network/serial/ppp directory.  It will walk
you through the setup.  In any event find the DIP Networking guide it will
help you fine tune your connection.  Using these I was able to setup a 115,200
bps connection using ppp and bsd-comp that made life much more pleasent.

>Greetings:
>  My ISP provides PPP as a connection.  I've been able to use SLIP and CSLIP
>on Linux kernel 1.2.8.  Due to reasons beyond my control, I cannot get the
>latest kernel 2.0.x from the 'Net.  I'ld like to try using PPP, but all the
>books I've read discuss setting up the pppd, making my workstation a PPP
>server... NOT!!!  I'm needing a setup as a PPP client!
>  I've been using Linux for the last few months, so you have every right to
>recognize me as a "novice".  If any of you kind people could point me in the
>right direction, I would appreciate it.

>    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
>   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

Richard Dubrawski

safety".
          Historical Review of Pennsylvania.
                Benjamin Franklin

Post by Henry Cros » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Greetings:
>   My ISP provides PPP as a connection.  I've been able to use SLIP and CSLIP
> on Linux kernel 1.2.8.  Due to reasons beyond my control, I cannot get the
> latest kernel 2.0.x from the 'Net.  I'ld like to try using PPP, but all the
> books I've read discuss setting up the pppd, making my workstation a PPP
> server... NOT!!!  I'm needing a setup as a PPP client!
>   I've been using Linux for the last few months, so you have every right to
> recognize me as a "novice".  If any of you kind people could point me in the
> right direction, I would appreciate it.

The simplest is to use pppd and chat there is a PPP-Howto that describes
this.
--
H.Cross

Work:     | OS/2 - Awesome multi-tasking capabilities.
Play:     | DOS and it's graphical menu system. (Windows)
Learn:    | U of NIX (LINUX rocks!)

Post by Andrew Walla » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Greetings:
>  My ISP provides PPP as a connection.  I've been able to use SLIP and CSLIP
>on Linux kernel 1.2.8.  Due to reasons beyond my control, I cannot get the
>latest kernel 2.0.x from the 'Net.  I'ld like to try using PPP, but all the
>books I've read discuss setting up the pppd, making my workstation a PPP
>server... NOT!!!  I'm needing a setup as a PPP client!
>  I've been using Linux for the last few months, so you have every right to
>recognize me as a "novice".  If any of you kind people could point me in the
>right direction, I would appreciate it.

Actually, it involves running pppd, which it the ppp daemon, which is NOT
the same as making your machine a ppp server. I use it all the time from my
Unix box. I have a script which invokex pppd with a chat script as an argument,
as it discusses in the Linux Network Administrators Guide. Check it out - it
really does work!

andy

--
andy wallace             "The two most common elements in the universe are

http://www.scroom.com

1. HELP: Connecting to ISP with PPP

Greetings:
  My ISP provides PPP as a connection.  I've been able to use SLIP and CSLIP
on Linux kernel 1.2.8.  Due to reasons beyond my control, I cannot get the
latest kernel 2.0.x from the 'Net.  I'ld like to try using PPP, but all the
books I've read discuss setting up the pppd, making my workstation a PPP
server... NOT!!!  I'm needing a setup as a PPP client!
  I've been using Linux for the last few months, so you have every right to
recognize me as a "novice".  If any of you kind people could point me in the
right direction, I would appreciate it.

    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

2. Problem with lp module in slackware 2.0.34

3. Still having PPP ,isp connect problems, please help me !!

4. 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: evict truncated buffers more easily.

5. Help with PPP to connect to netcom ISP under redhat 5.0

6. x emulator for pc

7. Can anyone help me connect to ISP by ppp?

8. Odd frame in TCPDUMP trace

9. PPP Help Needed For Connecting with ISP Via Dedicated Addr.

10. Help with connecting with ISP in PPP

11. ppp died after connecting to isp: need help

12. Connecting LAN to ISP with PPP - help

13. Can't connect to ISP with PPP...