Can one Domain Name Server be used for 2 domains ??

Can one Domain Name Server be used for 2 domains ??

Post by Samatha Myne » Wed, 27 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi Linux Gurus :

        I have successfully set up DNS on my Linux box for our
        organization. We have a WAN link up with another facility
        through routers. Would it be possible to have our DNS resolve
        the host names and addresses of hosts in the other facilty.
        Any help and directions in this regard is highly appreciated.

        General Info:

        linux.aaa.org is the DNS for aaa.org domain.

        router1.aaa.org is the router that routes between aaa.org and
        bbb.org domains or networks.

        Similarily, there is routerj.bbb.org that sits on the bbb.org
        side to route the packets to aaa.org network.

        linux.aaa.org's routing table has a default route set to
        router1.aaa.org .

ThanX a bunch
S.R. Myneni

PS: As I do not have direct access to the net I am posting this from my
    wife's account. Please feel free to send your suggestions to her

Post by Mark Koles » Thu, 28 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Hi Linux Gurus :

:       I have successfully set up DNS on my Linux box for our
:       organization. We have a WAN link up with another facility
:       through routers. Would it be possible to have our DNS resolve
:       the host names and addresses of hosts in the other facilty.
:       Any help and directions in this regard is highly appreciated.

:       General Info:

:       linux.aaa.org is the DNS for aaa.org domain.

:       router1.aaa.org is the router that routes between aaa.org and
:       bbb.org domains or networks.

Sure, simple add two more primary entries to /etc/named.boot such as:

primary         bbb.org                 bbb.hosts
primary         72.191.in-addr.arpa     bbb.rev

Then fill in the details for the bbb.hosts and bbb.rev files exactly the same as
you did for you aaa.org except of course using the details for bbb.org. In the
bbb.hosts record for bbb.org declare linux.aaa.org as the name server for the domain.

--

Kick it!