Semi-Newbie Routing Problems???

Post by Your Real Name He » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

        Okay my Linux mentor on campus says that I have weird problems
with my network and can't help me. Here it goes. I have a two linux
boxes (token ring) on a network using a novell gateway that connects
token ring to ethernet. The two linux boxes and all Win 95 computers on
the net can "see" each other no problems. All of my Win 3.1 machines
can not "see" either of the linux boxes. One linux box has ip
forwarding and the other does not. How can I make my Win 3.1 machines
see either of these linux boxes? BTW the rest of the world can also see
either of these linux boxes as well as a win 3.1 machine via ppp.

Tim McKinney
Tech. Support Langston University

Semi-Newbie Routing Problems???

Post by Matt McIntos » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>         Okay my Linux mentor on campus says that I have weird problems
> with my network and can't help me. Here it goes. I have a two linux
> boxes (token ring) on a network using a novell gateway that connects
> token ring to ethernet. The two linux boxes and all Win 95 computers on
> the net can "see" each other no problems. All of my Win 3.1 machines
> can not "see" either of the linux boxes. One linux box has ip
> forwarding and the other does not. How can I make my Win 3.1 machines
> see either of these linux boxes? BTW the rest of the world can also see
> either of these linux boxes as well as a win 3.1 machine via ppp.

> Tim McKinney
> Tech. Support Langston University

Have you installed the Windows TCP/IP Stack on them? They will not work
unless you install the stack.. And it is a little flaky...

But it will work if you install the TCP/IP that you can download from
Microsoft's site...

Matt

Message boards of all kinds http://www.dboard.com/msgboards
UFO - http://www.dboard.com/ufo and many more!

1. Multiple Networking problems (semi-newbie)

Hi there,
  you might have seen me asking the same questions around, and if I'm
asking again it's because I could not find my notes again and I never
actually learned about those phenomenon, anyway, here I go:

  I have just installed Redhat 7.1 (Seawolf) on my Celeron433, it has
two Ethernet cards, one "eth0" is connected to my ADSL modem that I
connect with rp-pppoe.  The other "eth1" is for my LAN and I always used
a static address on it, though I'm considering the use of DHCP if it's
not too complicated.

  The idea is that I'm not the only one using this computer, but I'm the
only one that administrate it.  And some services are deeply needed
right now such as IPmasquerading so the LAN computers can access to the
internet through my computer.

Here are my ipchains chains:
Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
target     prot opt     source                destination
ports
ACCEPT     udp  ------  dns2.sympatico.ca    anywhere
domain ->   any
ACCEPT     udp  ------  dns1.sympatico.ca    anywhere
domain ->   any
ACCEPT     all  ------  anywhere             anywhere              n/a
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   0:1023
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   nfs
REJECT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   0:1023
REJECT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   nfs
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   x11:6009
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   xfs
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
%

I wonder what are the REJECT lines for?  And what I should do exactly to
make it to work...  Then I would like to know about good documentation
about all this, so I can learn about it.

Next problems are with the servers, I need to setup a HTTP server and a
FTP server, etc...  But let's just start with ipchains for now...

Thanks a lot,
  Simon

--
--

2. PPP: how to specify domain name for connexion to NT server ?

3. semi-newbie network/sound problem

4. Add Secondary IDE

5. Partition problem (semi-newbie question)

6. Is there a way to edit the boot menu?

7. Slackware/inetd/SMB problems (semi-newbie)

8. Computer hangs when booting Linux 2.0 thru' 2.0.11

9. Semi-Newbie, ISP, Dynamic PPP, Problems

10. Modem problems of a semi-newbie

11. newsgroups- semi-newbie question

12. Desktop Icons? Semi-newbie question...!

13. Semi-Newbie Help - No inetd running?!