Backup Internet Connection

Post by Lee Meyric » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 05:14:49

on our small network we have a 10 mbit fibre connection (connected to the
linux router box via ethernet) which is all well and good when it works. We
also have a separate DSL connection (also ethernet), does anyone have any
pointers on how to have both of these connected to the linux box and use the
fibre when it works and DSL as a fallback.

I've tried googling but the referances seem to be towards cisco-type
routers.

If there is anyone who either has come accross this or knows where would be
a good place to look, it ould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Lee

Backup Internet Connection

Post by Tech2kJaso » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 05:40:09

Quote:>on our small network we have a 10 mbit fibre connection (connected to the
>linux router box via ethernet) which is all well and good when it works. We
>also have a separate DSL connection (also ethernet), does anyone have any
>pointers on how to have both of these connected to the linux box and use the
>fibre when it works and DSL as a fallback.

>I've tried googling but the referances seem to be towards cisco-type
>routers.

>If there is anyone who either has come accross this or knows where would be
>a good place to look, it ould be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance

>Lee

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201h/0201h.htm

I have another more-detailed link in my bookmarks at home (if
needed)... but this will give you a good starting reference.

Jason

Post by Neil Horma » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:01:50

> on our small network we have a 10 mbit fibre connection (connected to the
> linux router box via ethernet) which is all well and good when it works. We
> also have a separate DSL connection (also ethernet), does anyone have any
> pointers on how to have both of these connected to the linux box and use the
> fibre when it works and DSL as a fallback.

> I've tried googling but the referances seem to be towards cisco-type
> routers.

> If there is anyone who either has come accross this or knows where would be
> a good place to look, it ould be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance

> Lee

If you're just looking for simple failover reduncancy, you could just
write a perl or bash script to ping a known host over the fiber
interface periodically.  In the event a repsonse if not heard after X
attemps, it can tear down the fiber connection, establish the DSL
connections, and alert an IT admin that the switch has taken place.
Neil

Post by Steen Suder, priva » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 07:22:05

> on our small network we have a 10 mbit fibre connection (connected to the
> linux router box via ethernet) which is all well and good when it works. We
> also have a separate DSL connection (also ethernet), does anyone have any
> pointers on how to have both of these connected to the linux box and use the
> fibre when it works and DSL as a fallback.

> I've tried googling but the referances seem to be towards cisco-type
> routers.

> If there is anyone who either has come accross this or knows where would be
> a good place to look, it ould be greatly appreciated.

Well, it seems that good ol' metric has been left forgotten ;-)

The fibrelink has a standard metric of "0" (zero)... probably. Add the
DSL as default gateway with a higher value, say, 1.
To help the system detect a dead link ping the peer on each link every,
say, 60 secs.
I recommend adding Julian Anastasovs route-patch which has a better
"Dead Gateway Detection"-ability (among other stuff).

Find it here:
<http://www.veryComputer.com/~ja/#routes>

--
Mvh. / Best regards,
S* Suder             <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Post by Lee Meyric » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 01:42:09

> If you're just looking for simple failover reduncancy, you could just
> write a perl or bash script to ping a known host over the fiber
> interface periodically.  In the event a repsonse if not heard after X
> attemps, it can tear down the fiber connection, establish the DSL
> connections, and alert an IT admin that the switch has taken place.
> Neil

Thanks everyone who replied i'm going to try this method as it requires less
messing around, but thanks again for the references, they were most
informative

Lee

1. setting dial-up using PPP as backup internet connection

We have 2 offices that is connected to each other using VPN over our T1
connection.  The VPN is set-up from our firewall in one office to another
firewall in the other office.  Both Server is running RedHat 6.2 with
kernel 2.2.19 and has IP-Chain and port-forwarding

I want to connect a modem on both server, in case our T1 connection is
down, our office will be able to dial the other office to keep the VPN
connection alive.

I am totally clueless on how to set it-up.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Hendra

2. How to restore from fake disk tape in batch mode ,

3. ADSL as backup Internet Connection

4. Massive video flickering with Mandrake 6.0

5. Back-Up Internet Connection.

6. Emacs 19.19 installs

7. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

8. How to Display on both Projector and LCD?

9. Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

10. internet connection dies sometims after usenet connection times out

11. Internet Connection via a Network Shared Connection in RedHat 7.2

12. internet connexion sharing through usb direct connexion

13. Internet backup services for Linux