mgetty should limit to ppp

Post by Erik Peperman » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

How can I tell mgetty to answer only ppp traffic
in order to do authentication and disallow all
other incoming traffic on my dialin server ?

Erik

mgetty should limit to ppp

Post by Ross Crawfor » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Erik,

I haven't tried this, but you might want to try changing the last line of
login.config (or adding if it's not there) to:

*    -    -    /bin/false

HTH

ROSCO

Quote:> How can I tell mgetty to answer only ppp traffic
> in order to do authentication and disallow all
> other incoming traffic on my dialin server ?

> Erik

mgetty should limit to ppp

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I tell mgetty to answer only ppp traffic
>in order to do authentication and disallow all
>other incoming traffic on my dialin server ?

Set up AutoPPP and remove the default (logon) line.

mgetty should limit to ppp

Post by Ross Crawfor » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >How can I tell mgetty to answer only ppp traffic
> >in order to do authentication and disallow all
> >other incoming traffic on my dialin server ?

> Set up AutoPPP and remove the default (logon) line.

The mgetty docs indicate that if default line doesn't exist, it'll try to
run /bin/login anyway. I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but as I
mentioned in another post it may be worth trying /bin/false for the default
login line.

Regards,

ROSCO

mgetty should limit to ppp

Post by Ross Crawfor » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >How can I tell mgetty to answer only ppp traffic
> >in order to do authentication and disallow all
> >other incoming traffic on my dialin server ?

> Set up AutoPPP and remove the default (logon) line.

Bill,

This doesn't work. You have to add something like:

*    -    -    /bin/false

as the default login line, as internally mgetty tries /bin/login if it
doesn't get a match in login.config. Note that you may also want to change
"login-prompt" in mgetty.config - probably something like <PRESS ENTER>. I
just tried this and it works great.

Regards,

ROSCO