How to set DHCP client on linux

Post by Su » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:19:30

Hi,

I am using Slackware Linux and have 2 ethernet card. I would like to set
one 3c905 (eth0) with static IP and other AT2500 (eth1) with dynamic IP.
eth1 will be connected to cable modem and eth0 will be connected to LAN.

Please tell me step by step how to configure it. Thanks in advance for
your advice.

Regards,
Sur

-----
Cable Modem FAQ: http://www.cablemodemhelp.com
-----

Post by Peter W » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:17:03

> Hi,

> I am using Slackware Linux and have 2 ethernet card. I would like to set
> one 3c905 (eth0) with static IP and other AT2500 (eth1) with dynamic IP.
> eth1 will be connected to cable modem and eth0 will be connected to LAN.

> Please tell me step by step how to configure it. Thanks in advance for
> your advice.

I'm not sure of Slackware. On my Debian, you may man interfaces.

Good luck! :)

--
"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance." -- Socrates

Post by James Knot » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 19:40:50

> Hi,

> I am using Slackware Linux and have 2 ethernet card. I would like to set
> one 3c905 (eth0) with static IP and other AT2500 (eth1) with dynamic IP.
> eth1 will be connected to cable modem and eth0 will be connected to LAN.

> Please tell me step by step how to configure it. Thanks in advance for
> your advice.

My firewall runs Slackware, with a pair of SMC 8013 NICs.  It's been a while
since I set it up, but as I recall, I edited the script use to set up the
first NIC, added the setup portion, for the 2nd, assigned a static IP to
the lan side, and just enabled DHCP for the internet side.  Works fine.

--

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.

james.knott.

Post by frank barne » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 02:04:58

> Hi,

> I am using Slackware Linux and have 2 ethernet card. I would like to set
> one 3c905 (eth0) with static IP and other AT2500 (eth1) with dynamic IP.
> eth1 will be connected to cable modem and eth0 will be connected to LAN.

> Please tell me step by step how to configure it. Thanks in advance for
> your advice.

> Regards,
> Sur

> -----
> Cable Modem FAQ: http://www.cablemodemhelp.com
> -----

I am not familiar with slackware, but I think they all use the 'interfaces'

file of the /etc directory. The location varies accroding to the
distribution.
in debian it is in /etc/network/interfaces. See man interfaces.5

Here is a sample with one interface static and one assigned with DHCP:
---------------------------------------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
--------------------------------------

1. Setting up a linux dhcp client with a win98 dhcp server??

Hi
I am attempting a setup with a windoze98 machine as gateway machine
that hooks up to a cable modem and runs a 3rd party NAT/dhcp software.
Now, I can't get my linux machine to be set as a dhcp client. It can
ping the other machines on the network. For external addresses, the
nameserver lookup seems to be working ok. Pinging external domains
sends the packets to the right IP address but since the dhcp is not
working I dont get any pinged RX packets back.

// linux%> route
// Destination  Gateway      Genmask      Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
// 192.168.0.0  *            255.255.255.0  U     0     0   0   eth0
// 127.0.0.0    *            255.0.0.0      U     0     0   0   lo
// default      192.168.0.1  0.0.0.0        UG    0     0   0   eth0

// linux%> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
// DEVICE=eth0
// ONBOOT=yes
// BOOTPROTO=dhcp
// USERCTL=192.168.0.255
// NETWORK=192.168.0.1
// NETMASK=255.255.255.0
// IPADDR=192.168.0.5

Running pump failed with no more status results

// linux%> pump -i eth0 --status
// Operation failed

Pinging external domain send TX packets but does
not receive RX packets

// linux%> ping www.yahoo.com
// PING www.yahoo.akadns.net (216.32.74.52):56 data bytes
// << hangs and loses packets >>
// --- www.yahoo.akadns.net ping statistics ---
// 100 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Any ideas? H E L P .. .
Thanks
Masood

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. GTK-config file missing! (?)

3. How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?

4. Netscape and Real Audio

5. Dhcp problem between Linux DHCP Server & Linux client

6. FreeBSD subscription

7. can't set up linux client with dsl router (dhcp)

8. Starting & Stopping A Process

9. problem setting up Linux as DHCP client

10. DHCP Linux Client at NT-DHCP Server

11. Win NT DHCP server & Linux dhcp client.

12. Linux DHCP and Win'95 DHCP Client??

13. Mac DHCP client + Linux bootpgw + NT DHCP server