8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

Post by Wing Kan Ch » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 03:31:51

Hi fellow helpers;

I like to get some use out of my 8088 XT, my hope is to network it to a
Linux machine.  I paid $1500 for it back in the old....old days.
Via by Slip, PLIP, or PPP, ethernet is out the question. I do not want
to pump more money into the XT anymore.

Is this possible  ?
(XT's do not have a windows enviroment)

if yes,   1  what sofware do i need for the XT with 640K RAM ?

          2  how difficult is it ?

          3  Would you point me in the right direction.

I have read part of the Linux network guide, found no help on this subjuct.

if not, please state it is not possible. Then i may rest in peace and use
the XT for some other purpose.

Some guy has posted that it was possible, and have sent mail to them.  So
far, no reponse.   I believe them, for VT220 dummy terminals are
able to connect via serial to unix or VAX machines.

thanks for any help.

Post by MCKAY » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 08:04:51

: Hi fellow helpers;

: I like to get some use out of my 8088 XT, my hope is to network it to a
: Linux machine.  I paid $1500 for it back in the old....old days.
: Via by Slip, PLIP, or PPP, ethernet is out the question. I do not want
: to pump more money into the XT anymore.

: Is this possible  ?
: (XT's do not have a windows enviroment)

: if yes,   1  what sofware do i need for the XT with 640K RAM ?
:
:         2  how difficult is it ?
:
:         3  Would you point me in the right direction.

: I have read part of the Linux network guide, found no help on this subjuct.

: if not, please state it is not possible. Then i may rest in peace and use
: the XT for some other purpose.

: Some guy has posted that it was possible, and have sent mail to them.  So
: far, no reponse.   I believe them, for VT220 dummy terminals are
: able to connect via serial to unix or VAX machines.

: thanks for any help.

Hi,

You could take a look in the   /etc/inittab  file and look for
setting the /dev/ttyS*  lines uncommented.  This will set a getty
or agetty looking on the serial port of the Linux Box.  If you
have a free port (I've got /dev/ttyS1 or com2 under MS-DOG), and I
plug in a null modem cable (like LapLink style I use, but you could
check at sunsite.unc.edu  in /pub/Linux/docs/*  for a Serial Hot-To.)

Now all you need is a comm program running under just about any version
of DOS on the 8088, and plug in the other end of the null modem cable.
Set up telix or kermit program to look for the serial comm port, and
you should be able to login and use VT100 terminal emulation or
something.  No graphics, but you can still use Linux.

Total expenditure:  DOS - got it, right?
                    communication program - check oak.oakland.edu
                                            or wuarchive.wustl.edu
                                            to download the program
                                            free

                    null modem cable - $10 - $30 or so.

Not bad, really, and you found a new use for a 8088 / 8086!
Thats about all I did write or post in case you need any more info,
Hope that helps,

Darren

University of New Brunswick
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
              ^[:wq!     Crap!  Thought I was in vi.
                                      -Steven Clarke

8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

Post by Dolf Smi » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 16:15:45

Quote:> Hi fellow helpers;
> I like to get some use out of my 8088 XT, my hope is to network it to a
> Linux machine.  I paid $1500 for it back in the old....old days.
> Via by Slip, PLIP, or PPP, ethernet is out the question. I do not want
> to pump more money into the XT anymore.
> Is this possible  ?
> (XT's do not have a windows enviroment)

Yes it's actually quite easy

Quote:> if yes,   1  what sofware do i need for the XT with 640K RAM ?

DOS and Kermit will do

Quote:>      2  how difficult is it ?

Not, Start dos on the XT and start kermit withsomething like
  connect <com-port>  <baudrate>
  see the manual with kermit

Quote:>      3  Would you point me in the right direction.

On the linux machine:
In the file /etc/inittab you ad the following line
(after the lines for the virtual console
# Serial lines
S1:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0
 (or any other com-port you're using (ttyS0 = com1)

See also the the sserial-howto, it has a paragraph about setting up
a terminal by slip. This also contains the explanation how to make the cable.

Good luck, and you can mail me if you have any problems

Greetings,   Dolf Smits

--

Interduct
Delft University clean technology institute

        Linux, the choice of a GNU generation
                                            (Anonymous)

Post by Steve Heav » Thu, 02 Feb 1995 22:05:43

>Subject: 8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??
>Date: 30 Jan 1995 18:31:51 GMT
>Hi fellow helpers;
>I like to get some use out of my 8088 XT, my hope is to network it to a
>Linux machine.  I paid $1500 for it back in the old....old days.
>Via by Slip, PLIP, or PPP, ethernet is out the question. I do not want
>to pump more money into the XT anymore.
>Is this possible  ?
>(XT's do not have a windows enviroment)
>if yes,   1  what sofware do i need for the XT with 640K RAM ?

>          2  how difficult is it ?

>          3  Would you point me in the right direction.

Yes, its easy

Q1
   Get a SLIP packet driver, either slipper, etherslip or slip8250 from any
   SimTel archive [ I prefer (c)slipper]
   Get the WATTCP TCP/IP libraries from ftp-ns.rutgers.edu:/pub/msdos/wattcp

   What other S/W you need  depends on what you want to do with th XT. You
could make it a terminal with NCSA Telnet, but you can do that with a simple
emulator.
   You can NFS mount your Linux filespace under MS-DOS with one of the PD
PC-NFS impimentations e.g. TSofts NFSDRVR from
      polyslo.calpoly.edu:/pub/mdurkin/nfs

  Q2 setting up the SLIP on the Linux box is fairly easy, read the NET HOW-TO
  and the man page on dip

 Q3 see above :)

I run an XT and a couple of old 286 ATs this way, its not difficult

Good Luck
Steve

NATURAL ENVIRONMENT RESEARCH COUNCIL
Swindon
UK

1. 8088 XT SLIP,PPP,PLIP to Linux machine possibly??

[...]

2. STREAMS synchronized queue's...

3. 19" ViewMate

4. XT(8088)as terminal

5. project assistance:

6. Does an 8088 (XT w/ 512 RAM) nix exist???

7. finger trouble

8. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

9. Linux on 8088

10. 8/16 bit Linux for 8088/8086

11. Linux on 8088