Linux Bridge ?

Post by Ronney Blac » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to establish linux as a viable alternative to sco and nt at
my work site.   Ideally I would like to install a network of linux
departmental servers in seven departments and remove our centralized sco
system.

After installing red hat's picaso 3.0.3 and adding three more
workstations I find that my network is over the 300 foot limit.  Can I
put the linux machine in the middle of the network and create two
segments with the linux machine acting as a bridge or router ?

If so, where can I find out how to do this ?

Thanks in Advance

Ronney Black

Linux Bridge ?

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>After installing red hat's picaso 3.0.3 and adding three more
>workstations I find that my network is over the 300 foot limit.  Can I
>put the linux machine in the middle of the network and create two
>segments with the linux machine acting as a bridge or router ?

Routing is just the natural wthings are way so just see the normal
documentation.  (NET-2-HOWTO, NAG).

Bridiging is kinda experimental at the moment but the truth is out there.

1. Gigabit linux bridge (making a gigabit switch out of a linux box)

Anyone have any experence setting up a Linux box with 2-4 Gigabit
Nic's? I'm trying to setup a switch and maybe a server in 1. Using:

x4 64bit PCI slots /w 4 64bit PCI nic's. Now is this possible? I

Now if I set this up as a big 'bridge' using the Kernel code, will
have I have trouble? Will the devices talk directly to each-other, or
will the CPU still play a roll in this? I'm sure it does, which would
be a problem, but will this work? Can any of you hard core computer
engineering guys give me some real numbers?

2. Xconfig needed for a sony 1304

3. ADSL + Linux + Bridging

4. queued mails with "sender domain must resolve", how to bypass them?

5. Linux bridging

6. RedHat Printer

7. Linux bridging and NFS

8. nfs mounted mail directories

9. linux bridging and multicast

10. Linux - Bridge

11. FDDI <--> Fast Ethernet Linux bridge: anybody done it???

12. How can I install a Linux bridge/gateway ?

13. Linux bridge software?