ip masq or gateway ??

Post by tyk » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
We have a small Lan with a RedHat6.0 Linux box no DNS. We have a dial
up connection and our isp act as our mail relay. That is the working
part. I'm trying to setup ip masq as per how-to and added
gateway=192.168.1.18 (ip address of linux box) in
/etc/sysconfig/network . Every body can surf the net but now they
can't connect to the pop server using outlook.
/var/log/maillog reads lost input channel from whichever pc try to
sendmail. But if i remove the gateway the mail server works Ok
help

Thanks

ip masq or gateway ??

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>We have a small Lan with a RedHat6.0 Linux box no DNS. We have a dial
>up connection and our isp act as our mail relay. That is the working
>part. I'm trying to setup ip masq as per how-to and added
>gateway=192.168.1.18 (ip address of linux box) in
>/etc/sysconfig/network . Every body can surf the net but now they
>can't connect to the pop server using outlook.
>/var/log/maillog reads lost input channel from whichever pc try to
>sendmail. But if i remove the gateway the mail server works Ok
>help

Don't put your own address as a gateway on the Linux box connected to the
internet, that just loops back to yourself.  In fact if there is any
default gateway (UG in route) other than your internet connection, delete
it so the default route to the internet will work.  However, your routing
should show a -net (U) route to 192.168.1.0 with netmask 255.255.255.0 (or
alternately for a broader range 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0).  This should
automatically be there if you use netcfg or linuxconf to set up the eth.

Your Linux eth IP should ONLY be a gateway for other boxes on the LAN
that are not directly connected to the internet.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. IP Masq'd Workstation to connect to IP Masq'd Workstation

I have setup my Linux Box with IPMasq. Everything runs fine from my win box
behind the proxy. Now I just encountered a problem. I have tried to connect
to an ftp server that is behind NAT server which are both on winboxs

------------              -------------                   ------------
        ------------------
|                 |             | IP Masq    |   Internet    |   NAT       |
| Win workstation |
|---------|    FTP                |
|                 |             |   Proxy      |   Internet    |    Win box
|              | server                |
------------              -------------                   -------------
        ------------------

I can't seem to connect to the FTP even when the FTP Client is set to
passive mode. Does anyone know whether there is anything I can do on my side
of the connection such as reconfiguring my Linux Box to fwd properly?

3. IP Masq - Specify IP to Masq as?

4. HELP - Solstice Network Client 3.1Plus

5. IP MASQ/default gateway

6. When does AIX432 and AIX433 go out of support

7. Linux Gateway and IP Masq Help?

8. Apache or Perl problem - image won't display

9. XDMCP client behind ip masq gateway

10. win95->linux(gateway)->isdn->internet (ip-masq question?)

11. DNS problem with IP Masq Gateway

12. NFS and Samba Problem in IP Masq Gateway

13. RH 7.2 IP Masq FW/Gateway seems to block POP3 from Windows internal wkstn