internal tcp/ip

Post by palbe.. » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi -

I'm trying to figure out the efficiency of
using sockets as an IPC mechanism.  Obviously,
there is a data copy between the application
and the statck when data is read/written from/
to a socket.  When passing between other
layers on the protocol stack, are pointers
simply being passed around or is a data copy
with memory allocation acutally ocurring?

Thanks,
Paul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

internal tcp/ip

Post by Raymond Doetje » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

A usable method for using sockets to access shared resources is the
client server model, there is one server that has al variables en memory
and the other clients use a certain protocol (wich you create yourself),
to extract or update this shared data. Be aware that using tcp sockets
create a huge amount of overhead switching to udp is better but less
robust.

But to answer your question is that you are responsible of
interperetting the data in the correct way.

Raymond

> Hi -

> I'm trying to figure out the efficiency of
> using sockets as an IPC mechanism.  Obviously,
> there is a data copy between the application
> and the statck when data is read/written from/
> to a socket.  When passing between other
> layers on the protocol stack, are pointers
> simply being passed around or is a data copy
> with memory allocation acutally ocurring?

> Thanks,
> Paul

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

internal tcp/ip

Post by patrick.them.. » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi -

> I'm trying to figure out the efficiency of
> using sockets as an IPC mechanism.  Obviously,
> there is a data copy between the application
> and the statck when data is read/written from/
> to a socket.  When passing between other
> layers on the protocol stack, are pointers
> simply being passed around or is a data copy
> with memory allocation acutally ocurring?

from  my (admittedly) limited knowledge of iso/osi stacks,
it seems that each layer adds info when passing the packet down
and subtracts info when passing it up.

so pointer would not work, would it?

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

        DDE to TCP/IP Real Time Data Pump

DDE2TCP, is a Real Time Data Pump used as a data bridge
between DDE applications and ANY host system using
TCP/IP (SUN,HP,IBM,Apple, etc).  DDE2TCP runs in the
background, totally transparent between server and target
system.

DDE2TCP is perfect for use with any MMI system such as FIX,
WONDERWARE,GENESIS,LabTech for real time update of SQL
databases residing on other hosts.  DDE2TCP comes with it's
own configurator for fast and effective setup.  DDE2TCP runs
on WINDOWS 3.1,3.11,95 and NT.  Site licenses,volume discounts
and modifications are available.  For more information on this
product or our other porducts and custom services contact:

                Marshall Rowe
                Custom Technology
                640 N. LaSalle Ste 284
                (312) 384-4104

        VISIT our WEB
        site    WWW.CUSTOM-TECH.COM

2. US-TX-Dallas - UNIX SERVER ADMINISTRATOR NEEDED

3. can't find glibconfig.h

4. backSLASH in X (that anoying Yen)

5. IPFilter, Bridging, and FreeBSD

6. Linux TCP/IP stack internal

7. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?

8. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

9. tcp/ip ppp hangup in sco 3242 tcp/ip 121