Network performance problems under Linux, but not Windows

Network performance problems under Linux, but not Windows

Post by Anders Grusel » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 19:36:40

Hi,
I'm rather new to linux and especially networking, so please have
patience...

I have a box that has a Windows95 and a Suse7.4 Partition. I am connected
to Internet via the university network ( 10 Mbit Ethernet).
In Windows, everything works fine.
But under Linux, the network apperars to be much slower. Also the
connection stalls while surfing if "ping" is not running in a window. This
applies to both browsing as well as ftp and ssh. Which server I ping does
not matter.

The network I am connectiong to uses DHCP, and this seems to be working
fine. When booting linux, an IP adress is assigned as it is supposed to.

My network card is a Intel EtherExpressPro 10Mbit.

I appreciate any help I can get.

/Anders

Post by Karl Heye » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 23:21:51

> Hi,
> I'm rather new to linux and especially networking, so please have
> patience...

> I have a box that has a Windows95 and a Suse7.4 Partition. I am connected
> to Internet via the university network ( 10 Mbit Ethernet).
> In Windows, everything works fine.
> But under Linux, the network apperars to be much slower. Also the
> connection stalls while surfing if "ping" is not running in a window. This
> applies to both browsing as well as ftp and ssh. Which server I ping does
> not matter.

> The network I am connectiong to uses DHCP, and this seems to be working
> fine. When booting linux, an IP adress is assigned as it is supposed to.

First thing,  look at the ifconfig output after your have tried
accessing the network, we are interested in the errors being shown.

Lokk at the dmesg output for unusual error messages.

Are you plugged into a switch that is set at another duplex setting to
what you are running at, like full duplex.  A mismatch will kill
performance.  The ifconfig shows collisions for half duplex.

karl.

Post by Anders Grusel » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 06:44:18

> > Hi,
> > I'm rather new to linux and especially networking, so please have
> > patience...

> > I have a box that has a Windows95 and a Suse7.4 Partition. I am
> > connected to Internet via the university network ( 10 Mbit Ethernet).
> > In Windows, everything works fine.
> > But under Linux, the network apperars to be much slower. Also the
> > connection stalls while surfing if "ping" is not running in a window.
> > This applies to both browsing as well as ftp and ssh. Which server I
> > ping does not matter.

> > The network I am connectiong to uses DHCP, and this seems to be working
> > fine. When booting linux, an IP adress is assigned as it is supposed to.

> First thing,  look at the ifconfig output after your have tried
> accessing the network, we are interested in the errors being shown.

> Lokk at the dmesg output for unusual error messages.

> Are you plugged into a switch that is set at another duplex setting to
> what you are running at, like full duplex.  A mismatch will kill
> performance.  The ifconfig shows collisions for half duplex.

> karl.

I do not really know what type of hub or switch I am plugged into. Here
is the output of ifconfig when the performance has dropped and the
connection almost stalled. As you said, there seems to be collisions. How
do I prevent this?
linux:~/gtk+-1.2.10 # ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:AA:00:60:C4:97
          inet addr:10.11.118.58  Bcast:10.11.118.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:560 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0x300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3792  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

linux:~/gtk+-1.2.10 #
__________________________________

The last entry in dmesg is:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: transmit timed out, network cable problem?

Post by Karl Heye » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:30:58

> I do not really know what type of hub or switch I am plugged into. Here
> is the output of ifconfig when the performance has dropped and the
> connection almost stalled. As you said, there seems to be collisions. How
> do I prevent this?
> linux:~/gtk+-1.2.10 # ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:AA:00:60:C4:97
>           inet addr:10.11.118.58  Bcast:10.11.118.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:22256 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:8942 errors:2 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
>           collisions:560 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:9 Base address:0x300

ok, so you have na ISA NIC, configured to run in half duplex mode.

Quote:

> linux:~/gtk+-1.2.10 #
> __________________________________

> The last entry in dmesg is:

> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> eth0: transmit timed out, network cable problem?
> eth0: transmit timed out, network cable problem?
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> eth0: transmit timed out, network cable problem?
> eth0: transmit timed out, network cable problem?

can you check what you are plugged into, specifically whether it is
full duplex.  You might find a config util for the NIC on www.scyld.com
to change the eeprom on your NIC to use full duplex to try out.  The
windows driver maybe enabling full duplex.

Another possibility is that you may have a conflict with another device
on your system. Check you bios to see if IRQ9 is reserved for ISA and
not PNP, and disable PNP aware OS if available.

karl.

Network performance problems under Linux, but not Windows

Post by Anders Grusel » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:16:42

Hi again,

I checked the settings in Windows, and the NIC is set to operate in half
duplex there. (I changed to auto-negotiate).
There seems to be some problem with the config utility from scyld.com, it
did not find the NIC at all for some reason.

I checked the BIOS, and the IRQ the NIC uses (#9) is dedicated to ISA.
Also, Plug'n'Play OS is disabled.

Another thing I have noticed: I have to log on to the network via a browser
when I start the computer. In windows, I stay logged in until I switch of
the computer, while in Linux, I get logged out after just a short period of
inactivity. So looking at this, it seems that the problem is that the
connection somehow just dies if it is not constantly busy.

Any ideas?

/Anders

Quote:

Post by Karl Heye » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:08:32

> Hi again,

> I checked the settings in Windows, and the NIC is set to operate in
> half duplex there. (I changed to auto-negotiate). There seems to be
> some problem with the config utility from scyld.com, it did not find
> the NIC at all for some reason.

As an ISA NIC you will have to state the IO address, it's unsafe to do
probing on ISA.   The old EtherExpressPro cards had always bad support,
so the driver may not handle your card perfectly, I would check the
kernel version you have and see if there is an update for it as that
will have any fixes for NIC drivers.

Quote:> I checked the BIOS, and the IRQ the NIC uses (#9) is dedicated to ISA.
> Also, Plug'n'Play OS is disabled.

ok, that fine.

Quote:> Another thing I have noticed: I have to log on to the network via a
> browser when I start the computer. In windows, I stay logged in until
> I switch of the computer, while in Linux, I get logged out after just
> a short period of inactivity. So looking at this, it seems that the
> problem is that the connection somehow just dies if it is not
> constantly busy.

It depends on what you are talking about here. If you mean a console
logon then the logon shell has a timeout by default which will
logout after a certain amount of inactivity.  When you have a GUI logon
then this does not happen.  Look at the man pages for the shell you are
running (tcsh, bash etc)

karl.

1. Networking problem in Linux, but no problem in Windows on same hardware

To Linux Networking expects...

You may or may not be able to help me (a true Linux newbie) with this
problem....

I have a system with removable hard drives (slide out frames) for
which I have both Windows 98 and Linux configurations up and running.
However, while I can get the Windows 98 configuration to connect to
the internet (through my router), I am not able to get my Linux
configuration to connect using (what I think) are equivalent
internet/network card setup parameters.

I can (and have) set up my Windows 98 configuration two ways: First,
using DHCP to let the router assign the computer an internet address,
etc., and Secondly, har coding the internet address, DNS address, etc.
- and both configurations seem to work fine.   However, when I try to
do this in Linux, I am not even able to talk to the router's status
page (at 192.168.123.254 - a local address which my router will
respond to).

My ethernet card is working ok in Windows 98, but it may not be
working in Linux.

The key hardware on my system:

P-233, with 64 mb ram.
8+ gig Maxtor HD.
3Com Etherlink 3c905 (?) class ethernet card.

I have set up the system with both Caldera and SuSE distributions, but
with no avail.   What could I be doing wrong, and how can I check the
scenarios and fix them?

Thanks in advance....

Chris

2. HD Problem

3. Networking works in Windows but not Linux?

4. nVidia GeForce 2 MX and Promise Ultra 100

5. Network adapter works only using Windows, not Linux

6. Apache: TransferLog directive: | to program?

7. Windows 95 can not see my Linux box in Network neighborhood

8. IA64 / Merced

9. Strange problem: no problem with Linux, when I boot windows 2K network is down...

10. Samba Performance - Not a samba question about Windows Pwd Encrypt!

11. X graphics performance vs. Windows performance

12. What window manager gives the best network performance?

13. stealing parts from the windows machine & hardware performance questions+ hands-off network archiving