prob w/ bind-4.9.6-1.1 (RedHat 4.2 rpm)

Post by Michael C Taylor (C » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

Recently I upgraded a RedHat 4.2 system, kernel 2.0.33, to
use bind-4.9.6-1.1 (RedHat's update in response to the recent
CERT announcement) and now I when I run a program such as telnet
or lynx it cannot resolve the hostname, but if I do a nslookup
it finds the file name.

Using strace on telnet I noticed that looks for a non-existent
file called "/etc/nsswitch.conf" and then "/etc/hosts" and
then reports the error that it cannot find the host(name).

I also installed the bind-utils rpm and libc for RedHat 4.2
at the same time.

I don't see anything obvious in /var/log/messages or
/var/log/syslog that indicates an error with bind.

host.conf:
order hosts, bind
multi on

-Thanks,

1. glib-1.1.15 and gtk+-1.1.15 with RedHat 5.2

i've been trying to get both glib and gtk installed to no avail.  i've
been installing glib first under root using ./configure, make, and then
make install.  everything goes ok.  then when i try ./configure for gtk,
it can't find glib.  i've read the INSTALL file and tried to make sure
the paths are ok, but i'm not sure what i'm doing.  is there something i
don't have set?  maybe a default PATH or something?  i'd appreciate any
help with this, i can't get gtkICQ installed and it's driving me nuts.

2. Scalable CPU bitmasks

3. RedHat 4.2 'rpm' whoo's

4. Active Server Pages(ASP) for AIX

5. RedHat 4.2 RPM problem

6. RedHat 5.0 and KDE

7. More on RedHat rpm and 4.2

8. PPP Pb with windows95

9. RedHat 4.2 and ld.so-1.9.5-5.i386.rpm

10. Redhat 4.2 PAS16 install prob.

11. RedHat 4.2 install via FTP + updated .rpm files

12. RedHat 4.2 install probs @ root login

13. How to install rpms from Redhat 5.0 on 4.2