kppp cannot find ppp0

Post by Timothy Murp » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:07:47

pppd works for me perfectly,
but I thought today I'd try (again) to go over to kppp.
I followed the kppp Handbook exactly,
but the connection failed with

=====================================
Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
Kernel supports ppp alright.
=====================================

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

kppp cannot find ppp0

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:11:56

Hi!,

Quote:> pppd works for me perfectly,
> but I thought today I'd try (again) to go over to kppp.
> I followed the kppp Handbook exactly,
> but the connection failed with

> =====================================
> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
> Kernel supports ppp alright.
> =====================================

Just out of interest, what version of ppp are you using, have you got the ppp
definitions in the /etc/modules.conf file, and what user is running kppp ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

kppp cannot find ppp0

Post by Timothy Murp » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:16:45

>> pppd works for me perfectly,
>> but I thought today I'd try (again) to go over to kppp.
>> I followed the kppp Handbook exactly,
>> but the connection failed with

>> =====================================
>> Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
>> Kernel supports ppp alright.
>> =====================================
>Just out of interest, what version of ppp are you using, have you got the ppp
>definitions in the /etc/modules.conf file, and what user is running kppp ?

I'm using pppd version 2.4.0 .
There is nothing about ppp (or pppd) in /etc/modules.conf .
I get the same message (as above) whether running kppp as a user or as root.

Note that pppd works perfectly -- I'm using it now.
It's just kppp which does not work.
When trying kppp I removed everything from /etc/ppp ,
as instructed in the kppp handbook.
Then I created an empty /etc/ppp/options,
again as suggested in the handbook.

Apart from the fact that kppp does not work for me,
I found the fact that it did not allow one (as far as I can see)
to send anything to the modem except ATZ<n> and ATDT... rather annoying.
With pppd I send an initialisation string to the modem.
Admittedly the kppp handbook explains how you can do the same thing by defining a modem profile,
but this seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

kppp cannot find ppp0

Post by Clifford Kit » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:21:15

> I'm using pppd version 2.4.0 .
> There is nothing about ppp (or pppd) in /etc/modules.conf .
> I get the same message (as above) whether running kppp as a user or as root.

If kppp uses a /etc/ppp/options.ttySx file then you will have trouble.
Update pppd to ppp-2.4.1.

Quote:> Note that pppd works perfectly -- I'm using it now.  It's just kppp
> which does not work.  When trying kppp I removed everything from
> /etc/ppp , as instructed in the kppp handbook.  Then I created an
> empty /etc/ppp/options, again as suggested in the handbook.

Unless someone has had this problem with kppp there is no way
to diagnose the problem without looking at verbose log messages.
There should be a way of generating verbose log messages for whatever
dialer kppp uses and the log messages for pppd with the "debug" option.
Find out how and post exact copies for an attempt to connect.

Quote:> Apart from the fact that kppp does not work for me, I found the fact
> that it did not allow one (as far as I can see) to send anything
> to the modem except ATZ<n> and ATDT... rather annoying.  With pppd
> I send an initialisation string to the modem.  Admittedly the kppp
> handbook explains how you can do the same thing by defining a modem
> profile, but this seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

I've never used kppp but it is undoubtedly either a modified pppd or
a frontend to pppd, and an attempt to configure PPP with simple menus.
That is both unnecessary and prone to failure.

--

/* For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
                -- R. Clopton */

kppp cannot find ppp0

Post by Timothy Murp » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 00:15:41

>> I'm using pppd version 2.4.0 .
>> There is nothing about ppp (or pppd) in /etc/modules.conf .
>> I get the same message (as above) whether running kppp as a user or as root.
>If kppp uses a /etc/ppp/options.ttySx file then you will have trouble.

As I said, I emptied /etc/ppp/ as instructed in the kppp booklet.
I then created an empty /etc/ppp/options again as instructed.

Quote:>Update pppd to ppp-2.4.1.

I can't believe that kppp only works with ppp-2.4.1 .
Note that pppd works perfectly for me.

Quote:>Unless someone has had this problem with kppp there is no way
>to diagnose the problem without looking at verbose log messages.

There are virtually no log messages, even with debug turned on.
It is too early in the process.

Quote:>I've never used kppp but it is undoubtedly either a modified pppd or
>a frontend to pppd, and an attempt to configure PPP with simple menus.
>That is both unnecessary and prone to failure.

kppp is just a front end to pppd.
Certainly in my case it is completely useless.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is actually using kppp
with pppd-2.4.0 (or later).

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

kppp cannot find ppp0

Post by Clifford Kit » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 04:14:31

>>Update pppd to ppp-2.4.1.
> I can't believe that kppp only works with ppp-2.4.1 .
> Note that pppd works perfectly for me.

I didn't say it doesn't work with kppp.  I said, essentially, that
pppd 2.4.0 has a significant problem reading the options.ttySx files
and that is fixed in 2.4.1.  Pppd 2.4.0 is likely not a part of the
problem if you (or rather kppp) use no pppd options files.

Quote:>>Unless someone has had this problem with kppp there is no way
>>to diagnose the problem without looking at verbose log messages.
> There are virtually no log messages, even with debug turned on.
> It is too early in the process.

It's not too early for the kppp equivalent of chat -v messages,
provided there is a way of generating such messages with kppp.

--

/* They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
   safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin */

kppp cannot find ppp0

Post by Timothy Murp » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:11:19

>> There are virtually no log messages, even with debug turned on.
>> It is too early in the process.
>It's not too early for the kppp equivalent of chat -v messages,
>provided there is a way of generating such messages with kppp.

Here is where the problem with kppp arises:
pppd sets up and uses the interface ppp0 automatically;
kppp says it cannot find this interface.
There is no problem as far as I can see with the chat sequence,
which works perfectly in both cases.

Serial connection established.
using channel 1
Using interface ppp0

Is anyone actually using kppp?
If they are I'd be very interested to communicate with them.

I'm running ppp as a module --
I don't know if that is incompatible with kppp.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

1. error: cannot find ppp0 interface

My system has a NIC (eth0) for home networking with fixed ip 192.168.1.1.
When I try to dial up to my ISP the system does not obtain the ip that my
ISP assigns dynamically. ifconfig shows that ppp0 has the ip 192.168.1.1. I
tried a couple of things with no success. Any idea what's wrong? I also get
an error message "cannot find ppp0 interface"!

Shahriar Mokhtari

2. Newb: Apache for virtual hosts

3. cannot find interface ppp0

4. More than a 1.44Mb ramdisk for boot?

5. Kppp cannot find daemon

6. CooltTalk with Netscape...

7. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"

8. mmap memory/disk synchronization

9. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

10. can't locate module ppp0:0 ... ppp0:49

11. ppp0 cannot ping the anyone on the internet..heres the ifconfig and routing table..whats wrong???

12. Error congiguring video card --"Cannot find server, cannot continue"