dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by killahert » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:52:53



is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address without
using a mac address.
thnx in advance
 
 
 

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by Cedric Blanche » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:06:00



Quote:> is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address without
> using a mac address.

No.
DHCP cannot use anything but MAC address to distinguish hosts.

--
BOFH excuse #178:

short leg on process table

 
 
 

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by killahert » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:11:19


thnx


> > is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address without
> > using a mac address.

> No.
> DHCP cannot use anything but MAC address to distinguish hosts.

> --
> BOFH excuse #178:

> short leg on process table

 
 
 

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:27:39


Hi!,

Quote:> is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address without
> using a mac address.

A DHCP server can hand out IP addresses to clients from a DHCP pool if it is
configured in such a manner.  It can also use a combination of the MAC address
or "hostname" information to assign an IP address as well.  However,
traditionally, you either have two options, assign an IP address based on MAC
address or from a floating pool of IP numbers.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by killahert » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:44:29


Hi,

So if a machine had a host name of node1a would the entry in the dhcpd.conf;

host node1a {
   fixed-address 192.168.1.222;

Quote:}

assign node1a the IP of 192.168.1.222.

???/

Thnx


Quote:

> Hi!,

> > is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address without
> > using a mac address.

> A DHCP server can hand out IP addresses to clients from a DHCP pool if it
is
> configured in such a manner.  It can also use a combination of the MAC
address
> or "hostname" information to assign an IP address as well.  However,
> traditionally, you either have two options, assign an IP address based on
MAC
> address or from a floating pool of IP numbers.

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --

+____________________________+____________________________________________+

|
> | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
> | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
> | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
> | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
|
> | Melbourne, Australia       |
|

+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
 
 
 

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by James Knot » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 02:53:58



> is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address
> without using a mac address.
> thnx in advance

A host name has nothing to do with the MAC address.  The DNS server
could be beyond a router, so it wouldn't know anything about MACs.  An
no, you cannot have an IP address without a MAC.

--


james.knott.

 
 
 

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by Eric P. McC » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 06:20:12



> > is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address
> > without using a mac address.
> > thnx in advance
> A host name has nothing to do with the MAC address.  The DNS server
> could be beyond a router, so it wouldn't know anything about MACs.  An
> no, you cannot have an IP address without a MAC.

I think he means "Is it possible to assign a particular IP address to
a computer without relying on a particular MAC address?"  Which you
can do.  In dhcpd.conf, you'd do something like:

  host THEHOSTNAME {
    fixed-address a.b.c.d;
  }

And then the clients would get addresses something like this:

  dhcpcd -h `hostname`

I do something to handle my VMware machines, which frequently go
through total configuration changes while keeping the same hostname.

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

 
 
 

dhcpd assigned w/o mac address

Post by killahert » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:52:00


Thanks very much for the useful info.... I'll give it a whirl and let you
know.

Thanks




> > > is it possible for dhcpd to assign a hostname for an ip address
> > > without using a mac address.
> > > thnx in advance

> > A host name has nothing to do with the MAC address.  The DNS server
> > could be beyond a router, so it wouldn't know anything about MACs.  An
> > no, you cannot have an IP address without a MAC.

> I think he means "Is it possible to assign a particular IP address to
> a computer without relying on a particular MAC address?"  Which you
> can do.  In dhcpd.conf, you'd do something like:

>   host THEHOSTNAME {
>     fixed-address a.b.c.d;
>   }

> And then the clients would get addresses something like this:

>   dhcpcd -h `hostname`

> I do something to handle my VMware machines, which frequently go
> through total configuration changes while keeping the same hostname.

> --

> "I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
> pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

 
 
 

1. Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Hello,

iceman a crit :

man ifconfig
man 8 ip

Please can you elaborate ? How do you see it does not work ?

Yes, it works for me. You can also assign an IPv6 address with the 'ip'
command from the iproute/iproute2 package :

ip -6 address add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64 dev eth0

Note that the 2001:0db8::/32 range is to be used for documentation
purpose only. If you do not have a global prefix you can create and use
a prefix in the unique local address range (ULA, cf. RFC 4193). A
generator is available at <http://www.kame.net/~suz/gen-ula.html>.

2. /var/log/messages

3. dhcp-server: assign fixed address to clients within MAC address range

4. Hot-Swap capabilities under Solaris (all versions)

5. assign fixed address to clients with MAC address range

6. Werid 5.0.5 Problem

7. Assigning IP Range to Wildcard MAC-Adresses with ISC dhcpd

8. touchpad on laptop

9. assigning multiple IP address to one interface via dhcpd

10. dhcpd: Assigning address to dual boot machine

11. DHCPD does not assign fixed IP addresses

12. dhcpd static address w/o MAC.