NIS service times out

Post by Mate Wierd » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

We have a small linux lab of 30 machines, each running RH 5.0.  One
box acts as a NIS server; the others are clients.  After booting all
the machines all is well, but aftyer about an hour or so, all the
machines console display the message

do_ycall: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

I cannot login to any of the client machines (even locally as root).
After reboot, I find the message in /var/log/messages:

ypbind[355]; clnt_create for server wd207-21.msci.memphis.edu failed

Where should I look for trouble?  (Remember: since I cannot login to
the client machines, I cannot check if portmapper and such is running)

I tried updating all the yp* programs to those in RH 5.1, but I get
the same error (I have not updated glibc though).

Presently, I run (the last number is Redhat's package version)

ypbind-3.3-7
ypserv-1.3.4-1
yp-tools-1.4.1-2
(and libc-5.3.12)

Thx for any hint

--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis

1. RPC time outs at boot time

Recently I've just started having a problem at boot time, when my system is
starting up, I get a bunch of messages:
NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out.

I'm currently at a loss as to what to do to fix this.
The machine that is booting is set up to mount a few filesystems over NFS,
but it has booted up fine before.  Perhaps I have a problem with my
tcpwrappers setup? (denying ALL:ALL)

Thanks in advance for any advice, help, etc...

--
John Osborne       " I love the smell of fdisk in the morning... "

2. only show the NET_PCMCIA submenu if NET_PCMCIA is selected

3. services - NIS map v. /etc/services

4. Home networking problem

5. fix VIA Rhine time outs (some)

6. Linux Virgin! Questions

7. Netscape time-outs

8. Can't startx after a fsck

9. named configuartion in a ppp setup - time outs

10. Socket to SMTP server - periodic time outs

11. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.

12. Jserv time outs

13. * rwall and shutdown: rpc time-outs *