IP/IPX and Linux Gateway?

Post by Chris Moffi » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Right now we have three Novell 3.12 networks in three sperate
buildings.  We are tryyting to put them together using a couple T-1s.
We want to use IPX so the Novell servers can talk, but we also have
the requirement to have IP packets sent to the desktop (to both DOS
and Unix based machines).

We've been told that IP and IPX do not get along too well and that IPX
will steal all the bandwidth from IP.  To solve the problem we were
going to use Linux gateways to convert all IPX to IP so that our
backbone was only passing IP.  Does this sound like a feasible
solution or are we making it more complicated?  Do we really need the
Linux gateways?

Thanks for your help,
Chris Moffitt

IP/IPX and Linux Gateway?

Post by Pete Wutzk » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Right now we have three Novell 3.12 networks in three sperate
> buildings.  We are tryyting to put them together using a couple T-1s.[snip]

> We've been told that IP and IPX do not get along too well and that IPX
> will steal all the bandwidth from IP.  To solve the problem we were
> going to use Linux gateways to convert all IPX to IP so that our
> backbone was only passing IP.  Does this sound like a feasible
> solution or are we making it more complicated?  Do we really need the
> Linux gateways?

> Thanks for your help,
> Chris Moffitt

Chris,

IPX packets can't just be "converted" into IP packets, but if you're
thinking of using IP tunnelling, you are only adding traffic, as you'll
just be wrapping your IPX packets in IP headers to get them to their
destination, thus making them slightly bigger.

In any case, you shouldn't worry about IPX and IP co-existing on a WAN.
They are completely independent of one another, and so "get along" just
fine.  To ensure your most efficient use of bandwith, however, make sure
your routers are capable of using NLSP.  Cisco as of IOS 11.1 and
Novell's MPR support NLSP, I don't know about any others.  A link state
routing protocol like OSPF would be a good idea for your IP traffic, as
well.  Most good routers support OSPF.

Your routers are definitely the most important factor, here.  And
there's no reason at all to use linux to tunnel your IPX into IP unless
your routers don't support IPX at all (in which case you need to look
for different routers, not an IP kludge.)

What brand of routers are you using (or considering?)

 - Pete

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pete Wutzke            Powerscourt Professional Technology Services -

- Senior Network Engineer          Novell Platinum Partner            -
-                                    www.powerscourt.com              -

IP/IPX and Linux Gateway?

Post by Pete Wutzk » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Right now we have three Novell 3.12 networks in three sperate
> buildings.  We are tryyting to put them together using a couple T-1s.[snip]

> We've been told that IP and IPX do not get along too well and that IPX
> will steal all the bandwidth from IP.  To solve the problem we were
> going to use Linux gateways to convert all IPX to IP so that our
> backbone was only passing IP.  Does this sound like a feasible
> solution or are we making it more complicated?  Do we really need the
> Linux gateways?

> Thanks for your help,
> Chris Moffitt

Chris,

IPX packets can't just be "converted" into IP packets, but if you're
thinking of using IP tunnelling, you are only adding traffic, as you'll
just be wrapping your IPX packets in IP headers to get them to their
destination, thus making them slightly bigger.

In any case, you shouldn't worry about IPX and IP co-existing on a WAN.
They are completely independent of one another, and so "get along" just
fine.  To ensure your most efficient use of bandwith, however, make sure
your routers are capable of using NLSP.  Cisco as of IOS 11.1 and
Novell's MPR support NLSP, I don't know about any others.  A link state
routing protocol like OSPF would be a good idea for your IP traffic, as
well.  Most good routers support OSPF.

Your routers are definitely the most important factor, here.  And
there's no reason at all to use linux to tunnel your IPX into IP unless
your routers don't support IPX at all (in which case you need to look
for different routers, not an IP kludge.)

What brand of routers are you using (or considering?)

 - Pete

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pete Wutzke            Powerscourt Professional Technology Services -

- Senior Network Engineer          Novell Platinum Partner            -
-                                    www.powerscourt.com              -

1. Linux as IPX-to-IP gateway?

Hello all,

We have been using a NLM on a Novell server to be an IPX-to-IP gateway for
our IPX Novell networked clients. Is there a product for Linux that does
the same thing? We use the IP to connect to the Internet, but aren't setup
to pass IP packets over the rest of the network yet. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

2. chap-secrets problem

3. IP/IPX Gateway on Netra

4. rwhod and win95 machines

5. building an IPX < -- > IP gateway/firewall

6. install sendmail-8.7.5 ?

7. IP to IPX firewall & gateway

8. Apache starting problem

9. Netware 4.x gateway( IP to IPX translater)

10. netware gateway (ipx to ip) software

11. IPX -> IP Tunnel = IPX over Intranet

12. IPX routing for multi-user games - IP works, IPX how?

13. IPX -> IP Tunnel = IPX over Intranet