Server hardware en RedHat questions

Post by Henk Schet » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

We're planning to buy a server just for some internet applications.  It
basically only needs to run a webserver and an e-mail server (maybe
later some extra services like streaming audio).  I was thinking about
an IBM Netfinity 3000 or a Compaq ProLiant 1600 together with RedHat 6.1
Professional.  What do you guys think ?  Probably these servers are
overkill for a modest site, but we happen to have the money, so ...
;-)   And what about the RH Professional ?  Is it worth the extra $$,
or will the standard package do fine ?  Anyone experience ?  Maybe other
distributions like SUSE are performing better with better security ?

Thanks for the advice !

Henk

Server hardware en RedHat questions

Post by Bob PHILLIP » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The hardware is probably an overkill!

What you want to do could be more than adequately served by a 386 based
machine.  WRT to the linux realise it is more of a personal preference that
sways you to use one or the other, and which one you feel comfortable using.

--
Bob PHILLIPS
Director/System Administrator

                                                |  http://www.norcom.net.au
Yes, I am on the interthingy     |  If it aint broke, fix it, then it will
be
     dotnet dotau Pty Ltd PO Box 2762 SOUTH HEDLAND WA 6722 AUSTRALIA

Quote:> Hi,

> We're planning to buy a server just for some internet applications.  It
> basically only needs to run a webserver and an e-mail server (maybe
> later some extra services like streaming audio).  I was thinking about
> an IBM Netfinity 3000 or a Compaq ProLiant 1600 together with RedHat 6.1
> Professional.  What do you guys think ?  Probably these servers are
> overkill for a modest site, but we happen to have the money, so ...
> ;-)   And what about the RH Professional ?  Is it worth the extra $$,
> or will the standard package do fine ?  Anyone experience ?  Maybe other
> distributions like SUSE are performing better with better security ?

> Thanks for the advice !

> Henk

1. Enlight EN-8950 & EN-8700, server case and hot-swap RAID enclosure

I bought this great, inexpensive, PC RAID server combination a few
months ago, but have decided to go with a 2U rack-mount combination
instead.

- EN-8700 hot-swap SCA RAID module, holds 4 drives in 3-bay space
- EN-8950 mid-tower *or* rackmount server case

The EN-8700 sells for $160, and the EN-8700 for $300.

See product pages:

http://enlightcorp.com/data_storage/8700.shtml
http://enlightcorp.com/server_cases/8950_server.shtml

Streetprices price pages:

http://www.streetprices.com/Computers/search.pl?query=en-8700&startwi...
http://www.streetprices.com/Computers/search.pl?query=en-8950&startwi...

Because I am moving and need to sell these now I will sell both for
$300 or best offer, and will sell separately if necessary.

If you have any interest, please call (617)666-4727 or email

offer.

Rohan.

2. X double-click copy/paste issue

3. Q: dictionary En-Ger:Ger-En, off line

4. Appletalk problems with 1.3.6 on (netatalk)

5. Pb de Ping en loopback et non en distant

6. Announcing Wormhole: an HTTP proxy written in Java...

7. What are the hardware requirements for Redhat Advance Server 2.1

8. kernel hacking

9. RedHat Server Hardware

10. Server Hardware Configuration for RedHat 6.2

11. Hardware and driver question for Redhat Linux4.2

12. RedHAT on DeskPro EN 6350

13. Instal Linux RedHat 7 en AlphaServer 1200