SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders

SAMBA Question, Linux box can't see Windows Shared folders

Post by General Schvantzkop » Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:35:03

I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and
CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM
sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes
(both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other
and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared
folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus).

What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that
Linux can see the XP Shares?

Here is my smb.conf file,

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================

[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        cups options = raw
        netbios name = Nimitz
        server string = Nimitz Samba
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        workgroup = workgroup
        os level = 20
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        encrypt passwords = yes
        winbind trusted domains only = yes
        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        max log size = 50

Post by Cork Soake » Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:56:26

> I have an XP VM (VMware Server 2 on CentOS5.2) on a network of Fedora and
> CentOS5 machines. The Linux boxes export SAMBA shares which the XP VM
> sees just fine. The XP VM also sees it's shared folders. The Linux boxes
> (both CentOS5.2 and Fedora 9) can see the SAMBA exports from each other
> and they can see the XP machine but they can't see anything of the shared
> folders on the XP machine (I'm looking at the network for Nautilus).

> What do I need to do on either the Linux side or the Windows side so that
> Linux can see the XP Shares?

> Here is my smb.conf file,

> #======================= Global Settings
> =====================================

> [global]
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>    cups options = raw
>    netbios name = Nimitz
>    server string = Nimitz Samba
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>    workgroup = workgroup
>    os level = 20
>    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    winbind trusted domains only = yes
>    security = user
>    passdb backend = tdbsam
>    max log size = 50

If it's a VM, then the VM server needs to open the relevant ports for SAMBA.

See the VMWare documentation.