NFS, NIS, SMB easy tutorial?

Post by fil » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:34:12

I know that all the answers can be found in the regular howtos of NFS, NIS,
SMB, but I'd like to know if it exists on the web an easy tutorial that
explains to a newbie how to set up a network of desktops running Linux.

In particular, what I want to do is to replicate (at home with two PCs, a
server and a client) with Linux the usual Windows NT/2000 desktop network
you usually find in big companies: the user PCs have the OS and the
applications installed locally; the login is authenticated by a remote
server (or locally, if disconnected), and the home directory is remote (or
locally, if disconnected), plus a shared remote directory.

NFS, NIS, SMB easy tutorial?

Post by Mark » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:14:01

Quote:> I know that all the answers can be found in the regular howtos of NFS, NIS,
> SMB, but I'd like to know if it exists on the web an easy tutorial that
> explains to a newbie how to set up a network of desktops running Linux.

> In particular, what I want to do is to replicate (at home with two PCs, a
> server and a client) with Linux the usual Windows NT/2000 desktop network
> you usually find in big companies: the user PCs have the OS and the
> applications installed locally; the login is authenticated by a remote
> server (or locally, if disconnected), and the home directory is remote (or
> locally, if disconnected), plus a shared remote directory.

I don't quite follow your logic/explanation ...anyway take a lookmy
webpage for help in setting up samba.
--
Regards,
Mark

Samba Setup Guide: www.samba.netfirms.com
My gpg public key: www.samba.netfirms.com/gnupg/gpg_public.asc

NFS, NIS, SMB easy tutorial?

Post by fil » Tue, 07 Oct 2003 03:52:02

> I don't quite follow your logic/explanation ...anyway take a lookmy
> webpage for help in setting up samba.

thanks for the link.

actually what I want is to configure a linux client and a linux server: the
client boots up, and when someone logs in, user id and password are sent to
the server, which decides if they are good.
once a user is logged in, he accesses his home directory on that server.

let's suppose that there's an office with 10 people and 10 computers, and
they have to move from one desk to another, so that they have to change
computers: when someone changes the pc from which he logs in, he finds in
the new pc the same settings he had in the old one.

1. SMB, printing over smb, kcmshell smb fail on Red Hat 7.3

I have just installed Red Hat 7.3, replacing Mandrake 8.2 (whose KDE3
upgrade wasn't quite working right).  I reformatted / and /boot while
leaving /home intact,.  In many respects 7.3 works very well.  It looks
good and works in most respects. But I can't get it to print.

I don't hook the printer to my machine directly; this is my home system, and
there's a Win98 box in the same room, connected via Ethernet.  I use smb to
print to the Epson via that machine; in Windows, it's a no-brainer, and
Network Neighborhood "just works".  When I installed Mandrake (8.1 and 8.2
both), I was impressed by how well it handled that arrangement.  But when I
installed Red Hat 7.3, anaconda never even asked me about printers.  It
just installed a zillion packages (custom selected) and finished.

I note that during one attempt to install, anaconda hung trying to read
lprng-3.8.9 (or whatever) off of the install CD (which I had burned from an
iso download).  And since anaconda locks the drive (a MAJOR problem), I had
to red-button restart and select all packages again, reformat, etc. And of
course I unselected lprng.  I don't know if that's the problem; is it
needed for smb printing?  Kpackage sees it on the cd and lists its files,
but doesn't seem to offer the "install" button.

Any clues are much appreciated!  Thanks.

2. Kernel Panic -- Cannot Mount root fs

3. easy easy easy one

4. rz program not working!

5. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

6. NE2000 compatible stopped working after installing Win 95

7. ??? NIS, NIS+, NFS slow down webserver delivering?

8. Network Card, help me please :)

9. nfs,nis and nis+

10. Netware NFS <-> (Sun) NFS & NIS

11. Linux AMD/Autofs/NFS make Solaris2.5 NFS/NIS+ server crash, when using CSSC ...

12. Nis, smb, and Apache authentication

13. NIS+ tutorial required