setting max IP packet size (for ALL traffic?)

setting max IP packet size (for ALL traffic?)

Post by darrell » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

i'm having soem problems with a wireles networking setup, which ping -s
seems to indicate only happen with packets larger than about 500
bytes...is there any way to tell the kernel to ony transmit packets of a
specified size across a specified interface (and presumably split and
rebuild any bigger ones)?

i've seen hints about this, but nothing clear...

thanks

pls email replies if possible

--
"Emmet--patch up the clowns for a parade..."

setting max IP packet size (for ALL traffic?)

Post by darrel » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

ok yes its in the HOW-TO...use the window parameter on route ;-)

got it...

works beautifully...and for those of u searching this out in dejanews
later...this was the answer to a problem using a xircom creditcard
etherwave pcmcia card to connect to a breezecom SA10PXE access point on
linux slackware 3.4/kernel 2.0.30...set the window size on the routes to
460 bytes in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and it works fine (may be able to do
larger, but haven't tweaked yet)...everything works fine except qwcl.x11
(anyone know what quake expects in terms of packet size?)

cheers

> i'm having soem problems with a wireles networking setup, which ping -s
> seems to indicate only happen with packets larger than about 500
> bytes...is there any way to tell the kernel to ony transmit packets of a
> specified size across a specified interface (and presumably split and
> rebuild any bigger ones)?

> i've seen hints about this, but nothing clear...

> thanks

> pls email replies if possible

> --
> "Emmet--patch up the clowns for a parade..."

1. Setting MAX packet size in kernel.

I have the problem where I can only send packets with a MAX of 256
bytes in my network device driver. I am wondering if there is a way to
tell the kernel to only put packets with a MAX length onto the skb
buffer. I would appreciate any comments or answers.

Thanks, Christopher

2. Apache + PHP3 + Oracle

3. set maximum ip-packet-size ?

4. How to determine Shared Libs??

5. What is MAX size allocated to packet in kernel???

6. Need information on Veritas

7. Max and min packet sizes of STREAMS modules

8. Help! I am losing sleep over ppp.

9. Shaping traffic based on packet size

10. Max Traffic pro IP bei einem Linux Gateway festlegen?

11. Traffic control of input ip packets

12. IP-Chains ruleset - max size

13. Setting max process size on Sol 2.4 ?