Saving text file on SMB share - file has changed

Saving text file on SMB share - file has changed

Post by James Telfor » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 00:12:45

Hi,

I'm having a problem working on a remote Samba share. When I edit a
(text) file on this share using gedit for example, I get the message that
the file has changed on disk when I try to save it. This is a problem in
Eclipse IDE also.

Normal access to the files is fine and they do save eventually.

The server hosting the share is Fedora 7, as is the client.

Interestingly this is not a problem with either a Windows or Mac client,
therefore I assume I am mounting the share incorrectly:

mount -t cifs host mount -o username=username -p password

(with smbfs is the same result).

Thanks in advance.

Saving text file on SMB share - file has changed

Post by Bill Marcu » Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:05:02

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:12:45 GMT, James Telford

> Hi,

> I'm having a problem working on a remote Samba share. When I edit a
> (text) file on this share using gedit for example, I get the message that
> the file has changed on disk when I try to save it. This is a problem in
> Eclipse IDE also.

> Normal access to the files is fine and they do save eventually.

> The server hosting the share is Fedora 7, as is the client.

Are the clocks synchronized between these machines?  You may need to
install ntp or chrony.

--
You are always doing something marginal when the boss drops by your desk.

Saving text file on SMB share - file has changed

Post by Chris Davie » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:12:12

Quote:> I'm having a problem working on a remote Samba share. When I edit a
> (text) file on this share using gedit for example, I get the message that
> the file has changed on disk when I try to save it. This is a problem in
> Eclipse IDE also.
> Normal access to the files is fine and they do save eventually.
> The server hosting the share is Fedora 7, as is the client.

Sounds like you may have a time synchronisation issue.

Is the remote share a FAT filesystem, by any chance? If so, read up on
samba and FAT timestamps and you'll see how to fix it.

Chris

1. Can connect to smb://192.168.0.112/share but not smb://NYS/share

In Konqueror I get an error if I try to browse the windows network.
The error is that the network is unreachable.

However while at the smb:// prompt I can type
smb://192.168.0.112/ShareName and pull up a windows share on this
machine fine.  However if I try and enter smb://NYW/Sharename to
connect to the same share it just hangs (NYW is the computer at
192.168.0.112)

I am not sure if this is an issue with my samba config file(the server
side of samba works fine, I can access the linux shares from windows
fine) or if this is an error with my network configuration.

I think this might be a netbios issue.  If I ping "NYW" I get "unknown
host NYW."  However if I ping "NYW.JJ.COM" I get a response.  I am
thinking that I need to resolve that first.  Is that correct?  If so
how do I fix this so that it either appends my domain name to all DNS
lookups or uses netbios to find the machine.

I included a copy of the top of my smb.conf just in case the problem
lies there.

Rich
--------------
# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full
commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
# Date: 2004-04-06
[global]
workgroup = JJ
interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
bind interfaces only = yes

map to guest = Bad User
security = server
password server = NYS
server string = Samba Serv
domain master = no
local master = no
restrict anonymous = no
preferred master = no
max protocol = NT
ldap ssl = No
server signing = Auto

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
read only = no
msdfs proxy = no
browseable = no

[users]
comment = All users
read only = no
inherit permissions = yes
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
msdfs proxy = no

[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups
read only = no
inherit permissions = yes
msdfs proxy = no

[pdf]
comment = PDF creator
path = /var/tmp
printable = yes
print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z
%z
create mask = 0600

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
printable = yes
create mask = 0600
browseable = no

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers

force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

2. Seawall Question

3. MS-window text file viewer to read a text file in SCO server.

4. SiS

5. Dos Text Files to Linux Text Files

6. Core dumps

7. tools to seperate one large text file into two small text files?

8. EOF problems...

9. Extracting lines from a text file that match a certain criteria to another text file

10. conver dos text file to unix text file

11. Using SMB as the only protocol for UNIX/Linux file sharing

12. File sharing over a routed network - SMB style

13. Saving as text files