PPP - user connect

Post by Robert Woo » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have Linux at home (Redhat 4.2) and I would like to have users start a
PPP connection w/o logging on at root.

I have tried wrappering (ifup-ppp ifcfg-ppp0) and turning on the sticky
bit, but I still get a premession denied.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

1. ROUTEING?: Linux server, PPP users connect, machines on eth dont see

I have a small problem, first I have been working with networking for a
few years, and have set up a server that connect to the Internet through
ppp, and I have a few people that connect to my server through ppp as
well, (basicly I get them to the internet through IP masq) One of the
things I would like to be able to do is some local gaming through the ppp
that the user has and with the 4 other machines in the ether net

                      Internet (Via Modem)        User (Via Modem)
                        |_PPP____________________________|_______PPP

                                         Server
                                          etho
                                ___________|_____________
                                |       |       |       |
                                m1      m2      m3      m4

Now I ping the ppp user from m1-4 nothing, times out.
But I can ping from server (since they dial in)
Now My inet connection is dynamic and becomes my default route so as
expected the other ppp connections get that route.

This must be pretty simple but I have no Idea where to go. Also I had
tried to proxy arp for the ppp users connection but All of my Win95
machines as soon as this happens cannot use the ethernet. So I no longer
proxy arp (this may be my whole problem..dunno) Ok the ppp connection to
the Inet had proxy arp as well but it always complained about not being
able to determine ethernet address for proxy arp.

please help... or point to something that may help me...

Thanks
P.S. I have read through all of the ISP and PPP Howtos and nothing seems
to explain how to intergrate PPP and ethernet in this way

2. Time Sychronization

3. User ppp and Netware Connect 2.0 ppp server?

4. Simple routing setup

5. ppp-user - Users can handle PPP easily

6. problems with mount

7. ppp-user v0.95: Users can handle PPP easily

8. perl/tk compile prob (libX11)

9. User PPP - Can't make it connect automatically.

10. User ppp connect rate logging

11. sio: tty-level overflow during user-level PPP connect

12. User PPP - can't maintain connected

13. user ppp refuses to connect to certain domains