Proposed Linux network setup - Opinions wanted

Proposed Linux network setup - Opinions wanted

Post by Dave Kell » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Here's the scenario.  Currently, we have 30 workstations (Windows based)
that use a terminal emulator to hit a mainframe type central machine to do
order processing.

Looking to move to something like this:

30 floppyless, diskless Linux workstations that boot from the ethernet PROM.
All running X and using that for their desktop.  Traffic would be mostly
order processing, but some web browsing, and a few people possibly running
Star Office applications.  Presumably 100BaseT due to the obvious bandwidth
need for running such a scenario.

I know it can be done, but what about bandwidth and speed issues?  You're
essentially running your entire desktop across a network.  How far will this
scale?  Is there a better way to do such a diskless, floppyless workstation?

Thanks for any opinions!

-D

Proposed Linux network setup - Opinions wanted

Post by Greg Leblan » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Here's the scenario.  Currently, we have 30 workstations (Windows
based)
> that use a terminal emulator to hit a mainframe type central machine
to do
> order processing.

> Looking to move to something like this:

> 30 floppyless, diskless Linux workstations that boot from the ethernet
PROM.
> All running X and using that for their desktop.  Traffic would be
mostly
> order processing, but some web browsing, and a few people possibly
running
> Star Office applications.  Presumably 100BaseT due to the obvious
bandwidth
> need for running such a scenario.

> I know it can be done, but what about bandwidth and speed issues?
You're
> essentially running your entire desktop across a network.  How far
will this
> scale?  Is there a better way to do such a diskless, floppyless

workstation?

Traffic would only suck when booting the machines I suspect, assuming
that they had a decent ammount of ram.  (like as much as you could
afford).  You might also look at an X-terminal solution, there are
people who sell these, but I don't know whom offhand.
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

Post by Miguel Cr » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> 30 floppyless, diskless Linux workstations that boot from the ethernet PROM.
> All running X and using that for their desktop.  Traffic would be mostly
> order processing, but some web browsing, and a few people possibly running
> Star Office applications.  Presumably 100BaseT due to the obvious bandwidth
> need for running such a scenario.

> I know it can be done, but what about bandwidth and speed issues?  You're
> essentially running your entire desktop across a network.  How far will this
> scale?  Is there a better way to do such a diskless, floppyless workstation?

Universities and engineering facilities have been running vast hordes of X
terminals for many years. It generally seems to work just fine. These days,
with 100baseT so cheap, the big question is probably whether or not your
server (aka X client machine) can keep up.

miguel

Proposed Linux network setup - Opinions wanted

Post by Miguel Cr » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> 30 floppyless, diskless Linux workstations that boot from the ethernet PROM.
> All running X and using that for their desktop.  Traffic would be mostly
> order processing, but some web browsing, and a few people possibly running
> Star Office applications.  Presumably 100BaseT due to the obvious bandwidth
> need for running such a scenario.

> I know it can be done, but what about bandwidth and speed issues?  You're
> essentially running your entire desktop across a network.  How far will this
> scale?  Is there a better way to do such a diskless, floppyless workstation?

Universities and engineering facilities have been running vast hordes of X
terminals for many years. It generally seems to work just fine. These days,
with 100baseT so cheap, the big question is probably whether or not your
server (aka X client machine) can keep up.

miguel

1. Suggestions needed: security implications of proposed networking setup

Hi all.

I'm a Linux newbie, so please bear with me.  I'd like your feedback on the
following approach:
I've got a bunch of either Linux or W2K appservers running Tomcat and they
all get requests to store files.
All these app servers store files on one separate central machine via
mounts(Linux) or mappings(W2K).  This 'media' server is running Apache on
port 80 to serve up the media files.  So, if I create a mount or mapping
from each app server to the media server to xfer the files, does that open
up any security holes for the media machine since it's running port 80?  I
plan to run implement firwalling on each machine; would any specific
firewalling on the media machine solve any access problem that's created via
the mounts?
Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

2. KDE error. Vertical Lines...Hangs up

3. Opinions wanted: a light, cheap laptop setup for word processing

4. Just gotta luv NT4...

5. expert-opinion on proposed PC-configuration

6. CRONTAB won't save

7. Proposed Mail Architecure -- would like some honest opinions...

8. Apache authentication- .htaccess

9. Linux/PowerPC opinions wanted.

10. Opinions wanted on San Francisco/San Jose Linux dealers

11. Linux newbie wants opinions on the coolest X shell

12. Opinions wanted about SCO-unix (vs AIX/Linux).