NOT working: HP NX5000 w/Wireless card: Atheros ar5212 & SuSE 9.2

NOT working: HP NX5000 w/Wireless card: Atheros ar5212 & SuSE 9.2

Post by K Mannist » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 05:24:45

Does anyone know how to make this configuration work or what I should
check on or try?

Some*details:

I purchased this system because it was present on HP web site as
"working Package" with everything configured.

First off, SuSE 9.1 HP edition was NOT configured.  Upon turning the
system on, one has to do the install!  Seems like a Warning label should
have been place on the system indicating this.

Next, in trying to connect to my wireless system, I found this did NOT
work.  HP has a warning on the WEB site that does say that the NX5000
does NOT work with "Intel Pro...".  So, I selected: HP wireless option,
which turns out to be an Atheros AR5212 802.11abg nic.  YaST seems to
see the card and allows me to configure it.  My router shows it on its
"Mac list".  For the first trial at connecting, I am NOT using any
security (WEP, etc...).  I just want to get the connections to work.
There are several references on the WEB (Mainly magazines reviews) that
say "the wireless did not work out-of-the-box but with a few point and
clicks, this was fixed".  Of course, giving NO details as to what they did.

Calls and e-mails to HP have returned with "HP does NOT support Linux"
(as of Feb-05).   Which is very funny given the news/hype that lead to
my purchase of this system!

Post by Bill Anderso » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:53:36

> Does anyone know how to make this configuration work or what I should
> check on or try?

> Some*details:

> I purchased this system because it was present on HP web site as
> "working Package" with everything configured.

> First off, SuSE 9.1 HP edition was NOT configured.  Upon turning the
> system on, one has to do the install!  Seems like a Warning label should
> have been place on the system indicating this.

> Next, in trying to connect to my wireless system, I found this did NOT
> work.  HP has a warning on the WEB site that does say that the NX5000
> does NOT work with "Intel Pro...".  So, I selected: HP wireless option,
> which turns out to be an Atheros AR5212 802.11abg nic.  YaST seems to
> see the card and allows me to configure it.  My router shows it on its
> "Mac list".  For the first trial at connecting, I am NOT using any
> security (WEP, etc...).  I just want to get the connections to work.
> There are several references on the WEB (Mainly magazines reviews) that
> say "the wireless did not work out-of-the-box but with a few point and
> clicks, this was fixed".  Of course, giving NO details as to what they did.

Hmm, you could try as root:
If you have DHCP Server on your network:
dhcpcd ath0
that should in theory have it try to get an ip address and so on.

If no DHCP:
ifconfig ath0 <ip_address>
and then configure default gw, DNS, etc.

If the card is functioning and has all the drivers the above should in
theory get it working at least by hand. Once you've got that you'll have
confirmed everything but he GUI. ;) I use an Atheros (which may be the
same card for all I know) and once the modules are loaded it is configured
just like an ethX interface. Sorry, don't know how SuSE's GUI would do it
but at least you might be able to get it working from the command line,.

Oh, and I'd continue to call and bug HP telling them it said they did on
the website.

Cheers, and HTH
Bill