Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...please

Post by Richard F. Jr » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...
How do I set it up ?

and also how do I log off and then back on ( user / root ) ?

Rich

Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...please

Post by Tad » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

First you have to create an account for a user when logged in as root.

EX:

adduser rich
passwd rich

To log off, simply type  exit.

>Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...
>How do I set it up ?

>and also how do I log off and then back on ( user / root ) ?

>Rich

Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...please

Post by Ia » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...  How do I set it up
> ?

Get yourself a good book on unix and linux, you'll save a lot of time
and trouble! You'll have a lot of questions, it's far better to read a
good book, giving yourself a good base of knowledge to work on.

--
Ian - Edit address before mailing. | Have you got a question you want to ask
     Running Linux in the UK.      | Usenet? Search www.dejanews.com first!

Newbe, How do i log in as a USER and not ROOT...please

Post by Raymond Doetje » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

First you gotta create a user as root
useradd newuser
passwd newuser
(and then the passwords)
You'll see when you logon with newuser it will work
Please also check the manpages on useradd  (man useradd)
Because you can also tell what home directory and what umask it must
have.

Raymond D