telnet and also kppp questions

Post by Anna Luig » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:49:32

Hi:

1) I have two linux machines that are connected together via
10-Base T ethernet.  No problem with the connection at the
hardware level.  I can telnet from the PC (running RH6.2)
to the laptop (running Suse6.4), but not the other way around!
When I'm at the laptop and type 'telnet alpha' (where alpha
is the name of the PC on the net), it tells me 'connected',
then host disconnects!  When I'm at alpha I can telnet to
beta (the laptop) no problem.  What could be going on here?
Is it firewall software which needs to be configured?  I
tried to go into linuxconf after trying a bunch of other
things, but to no avail.

2) Now for my second question which is kind of unrelated.  I
had my ppp connection working to the ISP just fine under GNOME
on the PC, but then decided to add KDE today and try that.  Well,
after running kppp to configure the remote connection, I dial
but the ISP connection terminates the connection after the login!
The log file is:

Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: Using interface ppp0
Dec 21 01:34:32 alpha pppd[868]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Remote message: Login Succeeded
Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Peer is not authorized to use remote
address 209.16.196.51
Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Modem hangup
Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Connection terminated.
Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Connect time 0.1 minutes.
Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Sent 350 bytes, received 386 bytes.
Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]:
Exit.

Would any kind and patient person be able to help me with either of
these two questions?  (note 209.16.196.51 is not put in by me as the
DNS, which is the same as I use on beta when connecting to the same
ISP)

Post by Tomm » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:59:52

> Hi:

> 1) I have two linux machines that are connected together via
> 10-Base T ethernet.  No problem with the connection at the
> hardware level.  I can telnet from the PC (running RH6.2)
> to the laptop (running Suse6.4), but not the other way around!
> When I'm at the laptop and type 'telnet alpha' (where alpha
> is the name of the PC on the net), it tells me 'connected',
> then host disconnects!  When I'm at alpha I can telnet to
> beta (the laptop) no problem.  What could be going on here?
> Is it firewall software which needs to be configured?  I
> tried to go into linuxconf after trying a bunch of other
> things, but to no avail.

Have you try to telnet via the ip aka telnet 192.168.0.1 visaversa,
chance the ip to fit you needs, or maybe you need to ucomment telnet in
/etc/initd.conf
at my opinion use ssh instead of telnet, its a far better tool than
telnet, speciali
if you on the internet via you dial up connection.

Quote:

> 2) Now for my second question which is kind of unrelated.  I
> had my ppp connection working to the ISP just fine under GNOME
> on the PC, but then decided to add KDE today and try that.  Well,
> after running kppp to configure the remote connection, I dial
> but the ISP connection terminates the connection after the login!
> The log file is:

> Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
> Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: Using interface ppp0
> Dec 21 01:34:32 alpha pppd[868]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Remote message: Login Succeeded
> Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Peer is not authorized to use remote
> address 209.16.196.51
> Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Modem hangup
> Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Connection terminated.
> Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Connect time 0.1 minutes.
> Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Sent 350 bytes, received 386 bytes.
> Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]:
> Exit.

> Would any kind and patient person be able to help me with either of
> these two questions?  (note 209.16.196.51 is not put in by me as the
> DNS, which is the same as I use on beta when connecting to the same
> ISP)

There is a bug in kde ppp software, upgrade to something newer.

 Regards http://coolscreen.dk
- Penguins playgroud-

Post by Anna Luig » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 04:04:21

> > Hi:

> > 1) I have two linux machines that are connected together via
> > 10-Base T ethernet.  No problem with the connection at the
> > hardware level.  I can telnet from the PC (running RH6.2)
> > to the laptop (running Suse6.4), but not the other way around!
> > When I'm at the laptop and type 'telnet alpha' (where alpha
> > is the name of the PC on the net), it tells me 'connected',
> > then host disconnects!  When I'm at alpha I can telnet to
> > beta (the laptop) no problem.  What could be going on here?
> > Is it firewall software which needs to be configured?  I
> > tried to go into linuxconf after trying a bunch of other
> > things, but to no avail.

> Have you try to telnet via the ip aka telnet 192.168.0.1 visaversa,
> chance the ip to fit you needs, or maybe you need to ucomment telnet in
> /etc/initd.conf
> at my opinion use ssh instead of telnet, its a far better tool than
> telnet, speciali
> if you on the internet via you dial up connection.

The same thing happens with 192.168.0.1.  I looked in the /etc/inetd.conf
and found telnet was uncommented already.  It says:
telnet stream tcp nowait /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd

I looked in /usr/sbin and saw now file called in.telnetd.  I guess before I

upgrade to ssh I should get this stuff working first.  Besides, it's just a

peer-to-peer lan.

Quote:

> > 2) Now for my second question which is kind of unrelated.  I
> > had my ppp connection working to the ISP just fine under GNOME
> > on the PC, but then decided to add KDE today and try that.  Well,
> > after running kppp to configure the remote connection, I dial
> > but the ISP connection terminates the connection after the login!
> > The log file is:

> > Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
> > Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: Using interface ppp0
> > Dec 21 01:34:32 alpha pppd[868]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> > Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Remote message: Login Succeeded
> > Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Peer is not authorized to use remote
> > address 209.16.196.51
> > Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> > Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Modem hangup
> > Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Connection terminated.
> > Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Connect time 0.1 minutes.
> > Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]: Sent 350 bytes, received 386 bytes.
> > Dec 21 01:34:39 alpha pppd[868]:
> > Exit.

> > Would any kind and patient person be able to help me with either of
> > these two questions?  (note 209.16.196.51 is not put in by me as the
> > DNS, which is the same as I use on beta when connecting to the same
> > ISP)

> There is a bug in kde ppp software, upgrade to something newer.

I just ordered a new distribution CD from RH, RH7.  Will this have the new
version of kpp I wonder?  Well, maybe by simply installing RH from scratch
will solve some of my problems.  It's just a few extra minutes to copy the
home directory from my PC to the laptop.  Then hopefully the setup program
will get the networking stuff configured correctly, including the dialup
connnection.

Quote:

>  Regards http://coolscreen.dk
> - Penguins playgroud-

Thanks for the input.

Post by James Carlso » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:22:52

> 2) Now for my second question which is kind of unrelated.  I
> had my ppp connection working to the ISP just fine under GNOME
> on the PC, but then decided to add KDE today and try that.  Well,
> after running kppp to configure the remote connection, I dial
> but the ISP connection terminates the connection after the login!
> The log file is:

> Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
> Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: Using interface ppp0
> Dec 21 01:34:32 alpha pppd[868]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Remote message: Login Succeeded
> Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Peer is not authorized to use remote
> address 209.16.196.51

Add "noauth" to your pppd configuration file (/etc/ppp/options) or,
better yet, remove the bogus default route you have pointing to your
Ethernet interface.

--

SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

Post by Anna Luig » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:34:18

> > 2) Now for my second question which is kind of unrelated.  I
> > had my ppp connection working to the ISP just fine under GNOME
> > on the PC, but then decided to add KDE today and try that.  Well,
> > after running kppp to configure the remote connection, I dial
> > but the ISP connection terminates the connection after the login!
> > The log file is:

> > Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
> > Dec 21 01:34:31 alpha pppd[868]: Using interface ppp0
> > Dec 21 01:34:32 alpha pppd[868]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> > Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Remote message: Login Succeeded
> > Dec 21 01:34:38 alpha pppd[868]: Peer is not authorized to use remote
> > address 209.16.196.51

> Add "noauth" to your pppd configuration file (/etc/ppp/options) or,
> better yet, remove the bogus default route you have pointing to your
> Ethernet interface.

I added 'noauth' to options and that helped, thanks.  Now I've got a new
problem.  After the connection is made, it appears I've no route or
something
to the outside world.  For instance, I can still telnet to my other computer
on
the local net, but can't telnet to hosts on the internet.  Not even to my
ISP.
And when I try starting Netscape, horror of horrors, the machine locks up on

me!  If I look to see what DNS is present in linuxconf, it has the temporary

entries from kppp for my ISP's DNS's.

Any other ideas?  I think my network configuration might be really screwed
up in
which case the next best thing is to back up the home directory to the other

machine and reinstall RH6.2 from scratch.  Admittedly not the most
optimal way to solve these problems.

Post by Clifford Kit » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 09:07:51

> I added 'noauth' to options and that helped, thanks.  Now I've got
> a new problem.  After the connection is made, it appears I've no
> route or something to the outside world.  For instance, I can still
> telnet to my other computer

Remove the default route to the local network.  You don't need it
unless your local network directly connects to the Internet.  Pppd
won't replace an existing default route, even with the default
route option.

Quote:> on the local net, but can't telnet to hosts on the internet.
> Not even to my ISP.  And when I try starting Netscape, horror of
> horrors, the machine locks up on me!  If I look to see what DNS is

That the "machine locks up" is hard to believe unless you have another
problem, e.g., not enough memory or swap or both.

Quote:> present in linuxconf, it has the temporary entries from kppp for
> my ISP's DNS's.

That's what happens when you use some frontends to pppd (such as kppp).
If you are running your own DNS server for the local network then
you might consider deactivating it and putting hostnames in /etc/hosts
instead.

Quote:> Any other ideas?  I think my network configuration might be really
> screwed up in which case the next best thing is to back up the home
> directory to the other machine and reinstall RH6.2 from scratch.
> Admittedly not the most optimal way to solve these problems.

Yes, that's a solution better left for MS OSs.

--

/* ... packets usually cross many administrative boundaries on their way
   from a source to a destination and often the only point of agreement

Post by Anna Luig » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 12:04:22

> > I added 'noauth' to options and that helped, thanks.  Now I've got
> > a new problem.  After the connection is made, it appears I've no
> > route or something to the outside world.  For instance, I can still
> > telnet to my other computer

> Remove the default route to the local network.  You don't need it
> unless your local network directly connects to the Internet.  Pppd
> won't replace an existing default route, even with the default
> route option.

That finally worked, thanks.

Quote:

> > on the local net, but can't telnet to hosts on the internet.
> > Not even to my ISP.  And when I try starting Netscape, horror of
> > horrors, the machine locks up on me!  If I look to see what DNS is

> That the "machine locks up" is hard to believe unless you have another
> problem, e.g., not enough memory or swap or both.

It seems to happen a lot on both linices I'm running- particularly in
connection with
netscape.  Ok so perhaps there's another problem ...

Quote:

> > present in linuxconf, it has the temporary entries from kppp for
> > my ISP's DNS's.

> That's what happens when you use some frontends to pppd (such as kppp).
> If you are running your own DNS server for the local network then
> you might consider deactivating it and putting hostnames in /etc/hosts
> instead.

It seems to work ok now, but that's good to know.

Quote:

> > Any other ideas?  I think my network configuration might be really
> > screwed up in which case the next best thing is to back up the home
> > directory to the other machine and reinstall RH6.2 from scratch.
> > Admittedly not the most optimal way to solve these problems.

> Yes, that's a solution better left for MS OSs.

Too late, I've already reinstalled the whole thing (but found it still wasn't

working since the default route was still in there causing problems).  Well,
fortunately it didn't take more than a few minutes.