Stupid question about remote shell cammands.

Stupid question about remote shell cammands.

Post by Stephen Loewinsoh » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have two RH5.2 machines (workstation install) connected via crossover
cable. They can rlogin, but they can't rsh. The error message is
"Permission denied". What do I need to change to allow them to rsh?

Thanks,
    -Steve

Stupid question about remote shell cammands.

Post by Andreas Peet » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You should read the man-page for the rsh-command.
There you will learn about the files .rhosts and
/etc/hosts.equiv. These files should contain
information about what hosts and users are allowed
to use remote commands like rsh.

- Andreas

> I have two RH5.2 machines (workstation install) connected via crossover
> cable. They can rlogin, but they can't rsh. The error message is
> "Permission denied". What do I need to change to allow them to rsh?

> Thanks,
>     -Steve

 In a world without fences and walls
 who needs gates and windows?

Post by William R. Matti » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> You should read the man-page for the rsh-command.
> There you will learn about the files .rhosts and
> /etc/hosts.equiv. These files should contain
> information about what hosts and users are allowed
> to use remote commands like rsh.

This information is not likely to be of any use. If rlogin works, then
typically the .rhosts is of the correct format as is /etc/hosts.allow  etc.

> - Andreas

> > I have two RH5.2 machines (workstation install) connected via crossover
> > cable. They can rlogin, but they can't rsh. The error message is
> > "Permission denied". What do I need to change to allow them to rsh?

Check /etc/pam.d/rsh

some modification(s) may be necessary for rsh to function. YMMV

Regards
Bill
--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 256-3219          | and... in high heels.

1. --stupid question but then there are no stupid questions--

        I'm a beginner here so, so far everything i read has gone
    way over my head. My problem is I got a script sent to me
    decoded or something like that. You are supposed to enter the
    data into a uudecode or something but I'm not sure how that's
    done. There's a program on the university's main menu that
    called UUDECODE but everytime I run it through it, it says it
    can't open the file. Comments ??????? Help ?

        eric

2. Compile RH 7.2 kernel fails to load - ext3???

3. Question about some Telnet cammands ?

4. Solaris X86 on DELL Inspiron

5. Stupid or not so stupid questions

6. How do I setup the cron jobs for a nightly backup?

7. A/UX C Shell Programming Stupid Question

8. linux/ppc on StarMax again

9. Shell scripts......stupid newbie question

10. Stupid, stupid question

11. One stupid question and one not so stupid

12. REALLY STUPID QUESTIONS (not so stupid)

13. Stupid, stupid, stupid...