LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

Post by Radi » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:12:59

Anyone using the Linksys 8 port cable/dsl router with linux....  If so, is
it working good???  Does it have the option to telnet to a computer on the
internel network...???  Someone  told me that you couldn't use the telnet
protocol with this router/firewall....  Thanks...

Trevor...

Post by Mark Bratch » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:04:50

>Anyone using the Linksys 8 port cable/dsl router with linux....  If so, is
>it working good???  Does it have the option to telnet to a computer on the
>internel network...???  Someone  told me that you couldn't use the telnet
>protocol with this router/firewall....  Thanks...

>Trevor...

Trevor,

Most of the SOHO cable/DSL routers allow you to get through on whatever
port you select (programmable). For telnet, that would be port 23. BUT
not recommended. You should use ssh instead.

But, back to your real question. I recommend checking out
www.practicallynetworked.com. They have a matrix showing a comparison
of features between several makes of SOHO routers which is very helpful.

Netgear and SMC make competetive units.

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

Post by Roy Hollinge » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:20:08

strolled up to the keyboard and typed:

Quote:>Anyone using the Linksys 8 port cable/dsl router with linux....  If so, is
>it working good???  Does it have the option to telnet to a computer on the
>internel network...???  Someone  told me that you couldn't use the telnet
>protocol with this router/firewall....  Thanks...

>Trevor...

I'm using the 4 port model -- it uses the same software as the 1 and 8
port, and I'm not having any problems. You can do whatever you want
going out. Coming in you need to RTFM. But I have outside access to
ssh and http (Ports 22 and 80.) on my linux box. Just get the config
data from the router (the DNS), use that as the DNS setting and config
Linux to use the router as the gateway.
--

Since this is a personal account, I guess the opinions in here are mine.
Remember -- when you mail me there is no spam.

"'Bugs, Mr. Rico!  Zillions of 'em! ...'"
-Robert A. Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"

LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

Post by Vlar Schreidlock » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:01:49

Does the Linksys Cablemodem Router do port forwarding, etc.? I am
building a LAN for a friend that will have a box on a cablemodem. I
was going to do the linux/ipchains/firewall box thing again, but if
the Linksys box does the same thing for cheaper I could just use that.
What functional differences are there between a linux firewall box and
a Linksys cable modem router in terms of allowing traffic through to
the inner boxes like games, Napster, etc.?

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 05:20:08 GMT, Roy Hollinger

>strolled up to the keyboard and typed:

>>Anyone using the Linksys 8 port cable/dsl router with linux....  If so, is
>>it working good???  Does it have the option to telnet to a computer on the
>>internel network...???  Someone  told me that you couldn't use the telnet
>>protocol with this router/firewall....  Thanks...

>>Trevor...

>I'm using the 4 port model -- it uses the same software as the 1 and 8
>port, and I'm not having any problems. You can do whatever you want
>going out. Coming in you need to RTFM. But I have outside access to
>ssh and http (Ports 22 and 80.) on my linux box. Just get the config
>data from the router (the DNS), use that as the DNS setting and config
>Linux to use the router as the gateway.

LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

Post by John Gil » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 04:45:00

The Lynksys does indeed handle port forwarding.  I use the NetGear 311,
which is also a good solution.  I prefer NetGear, only due to better online
community support -- IMHO.  The model I have does not include a hub.  The
314 does.  I believe the Lynksys has a built-in hub.

I have used Linux as a firewall / router, and I prefer the dedicated
hardware model.  It is built for that purpose, and has menu driven
configuration, which for me is nicer than Lynux commands.  Also, it is one
less thing to worry about if and when the Linux box is down.

-- john

> Does the Linksys Cablemodem Router do port forwarding, etc.? I am
> building a LAN for a friend that will have a box on a cablemodem. I
> was going to do the linux/ipchains/firewall box thing again, but if
> the Linksys box does the same thing for cheaper I could just use that.
> What functional differences are there between a linux firewall box and
> a Linksys cable modem router in terms of allowing traffic through to
> the inner boxes like games, Napster, etc.?

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 05:20:08 GMT, Roy Hollinger

> >strolled up to the keyboard and typed:

> >>Anyone using the Linksys 8 port cable/dsl router with linux....  If so,
is
> >>it working good???  Does it have the option to telnet to a computer on
the
> >>internel network...???  Someone  told me that you couldn't use the
telnet
> >>protocol with this router/firewall....  Thanks...

> >>Trevor...

> >I'm using the 4 port model -- it uses the same software as the 1 and 8
> >port, and I'm not having any problems. You can do whatever you want
> >going out. Coming in you need to RTFM. But I have outside access to
> >ssh and http (Ports 22 and 80.) on my linux box. Just get the config
> >data from the router (the DNS), use that as the DNS setting and config
> >Linux to use the router as the gateway.

LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

Post by Vincent F » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 07:57:42

Quote:>The Lynksys does indeed handle port forwarding.  I use the NetGear 311,
>which is also a good solution.  I prefer NetGear, only due to better online
>community support -- IMHO.  The model I have does not include a hub.  The
>314 does.  I believe the Lynksys has a built-in hub.
>I have used Linux as a firewall / router, and I prefer the dedicated
>hardware model.  It is built for that purpose, and has menu driven
>configuration, which for me is nicer than Lynux commands.  Also, it is one
>less thing to worry about if and when the Linux box is down.

I agree, hardware is best.

HOWEVER, the thing I don't like about the Linksys is I can
only forward a port to an IP number. I cannot forward a port
to a port on an IP number. I am used to being able to for
example send 2210 to port 22 on host 10, 2211 to port 22 on
host 11, and so on, so I can forward some ssh channels into
the masqueraded hosts. No can do on the Linksys.

When all I'm firewalling is a bunch of Windows PC's which don't
need to be sharing much with the world anyhow, the Linksys is fine.

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

Post by Cjv » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 12:40:02

Ive been using their 4 port router/firewall for 2 years now, never been a
problem with napster,im not a gamer but none of my roomies have *ed
about anything. The only problems I had was when I had a PPPoE connection
from my ISP, and Linksys hadn't a stable upgrade for that yet (they do now).
Im new to Linux and have been contemplating using a Linux machine to provide
those services, but it would be only for experimental purposes, as the
Linksys was not only cheaper to buy, it is cheaper to run. Where I live, we
are paying a premium for electricity, and having another 24/7 power supply
is hard to justify.

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

Post by Vlar Schreidlock » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:34:33

Damn, I've been building all these linux firewall router boxes for
people to use a cablemodem on their LAN and I could have just used the
Linksys box. Oh well... I had fun building and configuring the linux
boxes.

On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:45:00 GMT, "John Gill"

>The Lynksys does indeed handle port forwarding.  I use the NetGear 311,
>which is also a good solution.  I prefer NetGear, only due to better online
>community support -- IMHO.  The model I have does not include a hub.  The
>314 does.  I believe the Lynksys has a built-in hub.

>I have used Linux as a firewall / router, and I prefer the dedicated
>hardware model.  It is built for that purpose, and has menu driven
>configuration, which for me is nicer than Lynux commands.  Also, it is one
>less thing to worry about if and when the Linux box is down.

>-- john

>> Does the Linksys Cablemodem Router do port forwarding, etc.? I am
>> building a LAN for a friend that will have a box on a cablemodem. I
>> was going to do the linux/ipchains/firewall box thing again, but if
>> the Linksys box does the same thing for cheaper I could just use that.
>> What functional differences are there between a linux firewall box and
>> a Linksys cable modem router in terms of allowing traffic through to
>> the inner boxes like games, Napster, etc.?

>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 05:20:08 GMT, Roy Hollinger

>> >strolled up to the keyboard and typed:

>is
>the
>telnet

>> >I'm using the 4 port model -- it uses the same software as the 1 and 8
>> >port, and I'm not having any problems. You can do whatever you want
>> >going out. Coming in you need to RTFM. But I have outside access to
>> >ssh and http (Ports 22 and 80.) on my linux box. Just get the config
>> >data from the router (the DNS), use that as the DNS setting and config
>> >Linux to use the router as the gateway.

1. Linksys Cable/DSL router with Linux

I've recently been having numerous stability problems with dhcpcd, and since
the price of the Linksys routers have come down significantly since the last
time I looked... I'm about ready to give inand pay the $170 for one.

However, I'd like to make sure that it will not render some of my
connectivity useless.  I still plan to have my Linux box act as a file
server (downloads weather data automatically, serves it to all computers on
the network via Samba, FTP, etc), and I'd still like to be able to remotely
connect to the Linux box.  Will this be a problem with the router??
Currently, I have 2 windows machines and a hybrid (Linux and Windows)
workstation behind a Debian server/firewall which has IPMASQ installed and
running.  If I were "off network" and tried to connect to any of the
computers behind the IPMASQed machine (via ssh or telnet, ftp, etc) I
couldn't do it.  With my Debian server behind the router, would the same
hold true?  I called Linksys and talked to a sales rep (not sure how much he
really knew), but he did say I could setup the Linksys router's firewall to
allow connection to a computer on the network through a specific set port.
It is extremely important that I can still connect to the file server
remotely via ssh and ftp.  Is there anyone out there who has used the
Linksys routers that can tell me if this will work?

Thanks much,

Mike

2. Help setting up X

3. Linux box to expand Linksys Cable/DSL port forwarding

4. Package locations

5. Linksys Cable/DSL Router question

6. I need your help with the version of Slackware of Linux

7. LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router Voice Enabler (BEFN2PE)

8. How do i set LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

9. Home network question...Cable/BSD/Linksys-CBL/DSL Router

10. Linux vs LinkSys 4 port Cable router

11. Linksys Wireless Cable/DSL Access Point + 4 Port Switch

12. dhclient settings for linksys 4 port DSL router

13. DSL/Cable Router vs "Ordinary Router"