Looking for home based Linux LKM and socket based application project

Looking for home based Linux LKM and socket based application project

Post by GS » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:57:23

My cousin is in School now, he instgalled RH based Linux PC, would like
to do some Linux Project, with simple loadable kernel module and some
application should access that module using socket, this way the kernel
module loading and debugging, as well as socket application program can
be written, can somebody suggest us how to do this. Basically wants to
learn Linux Kernel programming. Also is there any Pseudo driver
availble in Linux (Or Loop around driver which is available in STREAMS
Programming).

In socket prog, will it be only one socket for both sides communication
or do I need two sockets (for example in standard FTP, will it use only
one socket for Tx abd Rx, Or is it two different sockets). Thanks.

Looking for home based Linux LKM and socket based application project

Post by doug » Wed, 01 Jun 2005 05:56:08

Quote:> My cousin is in School now, he instgalled RH based Linux PC, would like
> to do some Linux Project, with simple loadable kernel module and some
> application should access that module using socket, this way the kernel
> module loading and debugging, as well as socket application program can
> be written, can somebody suggest us how to do this. Basically wants to
> learn Linux Kernel programming. Also is there any Pseudo driver
> availble in Linux (Or Loop around driver which is available in STREAMS
> Programming).

> In socket prog, will it be only one socket for both sides communication
> or do I need two sockets (for example in standard FTP, will it use only
> one socket for Tx abd Rx, Or is it two different sockets). Thanks.

close eyes.  count to five.  knowledge appears in brain.

Sorry, one too may beers, perhaps.  But I suggest your 'cousin' reads a book
or two first, and learns how to walk before running.

1. Windows based ethreal and Cygwin based network application

Hi,

I am using cygwin for development
and debugging of a network based
application that parses and prints
the packets before further processing.

Is it not possible to use Windows
based Ethereal for my application
that is being executed from cygwin ?

I tried it, but it did not work. :-(
Not sure if there is a problem with
my application. Lemme know if that
combination of cygwin based
application and windows based
ethereal would not work.
In the meantime, i would be
debugging the application.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru

2. What's my DISPLAY?

3. Looking for Linux based Socket-7 MB+sound review.

4. COMMENTARY: Linux for Intel in danger......

5. linking BSD-socket based applications with .so libraries

6. PLEASE help a newbie with linux (adaptec 2940 and ds video vram)

7. event-based socket-applications

8. Aztech USB ADSL modem supported?

9. Looking for Small but Complete Home-Based UNIX System

10. Looking for some HOME BASED PC work

11. Looking for ncurses-based menu/forms library/application

12. scalability of socket-based application?

13. Connecting 10-base-2 and 10-base-T to linux box